16 inch tire on 16.5 Rim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... I don't think anyone can make it any clearer than the two postings above. I did poste that the beads are differant and they will not seal nor hold... Looseing a body part is not worth the risk. No all the above being said are you sure now what will hapen... I wish Midnight Rider sees this... He is the reseident tire expert around these parts. Usually vary colorfull about issues like this too....:sly:D

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
what you're asking for is a very tall order. activities such as you're asking for firsthand experience has a very high mortality rate. if the person who has attempted this and lived to tell about it, they're usually missing their face or major body part(s). perhaps a forum dealing with coroners talking about COD would be a better place for you to find the answer you're looking for.

LOL I guess that's all that needs to be said

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Well... I don't think anyone can make it any clearer than the two postings above. I did poste that the beads are differant and they will not seal nor hold... Looseing a body part is not worth the risk. No all the above being said are you sure now what will hapen... I wish Midnight Rider sees this... He is the reseident tire expert around these parts. Usually vary colorfull about issues like this too....:sly:D

I saw that ;Sweet perhaps I can find some old rims/tires in my junk pile to show the difference, I know it is there, but I don't know what is what.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would never try to put an incorrect size tire on a rim. I know of two stories, One my Dad witnessed and the other was a friend of mine from when I was in the auto parts business.

The one my Dad witnessed, was back in the 70's, at at service station (remember those) A Shell as a matter of fact. A friend of his was using the tire machine and was r-n-r a tire. He had removed the old tire, and was placing the "new" tire (I am not sure it was a sticker tire, or just a different tire, but I would say was the proper tire for the rim). Upon re-inflation, the tire failed, and hit my Dad's buddy across the chest and threw him through the large glass bay door. He lived, but did suffer injuries.

Another one was a friend of mine at a different Shell station, he was installing a new tire. Had the new tire on the one the rim and was inflating it, while it was still on the tire machine. He had removed the large threaded lock "nut" from the tire and rim, it was just laying there, only being held down by gravity. The back side bead let go, and the tire launched off the machine, hit him in the head on the way up, went through the bay door (door was open, so it was up along the ceiling) through the ceiling and came to rest in the attic. He was rushed to the hospital with head injuries, and now has vision loss in one eye. He was told it the tire had hit him a bit more the the right (toward the center of his head) it would have broken his neck, or taken his head off.

After hearing both of these, I give tires a great deal of respect.... as they can and will kill you. I know it is an "normal" action, but I cringe every time I see someone set a bead with starting fluid and a flame......

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend whom asked me if you could run a 16 inch tire on a 16.5 inch rim, I responded with... I'm not sure... I think it may fit, however is it safe is a different question. Have any of you guys done it, or know anybody whom actually has and has input?
(please don't respond with a no answer unless you have a legitimate reason or experience , IE no "don't do it because it says not to on the tire", or "I'm sure its unsafe" answers please!,)

No... Do not do that... The tire beads are completely differant and the bead will blow... That kills people.... We have an expert here that has a long time family business in the tire industry... He will chime in and tell you exactly whats going on trying to do this... I believe its against the law for a tire shop to mount a 16 on a 16.5 rim....

I guess that would be me. ;Really

Everything Gary already said.

I had a guy in the shop a few years ago that was travelling through with his family and they had tire trouble, putting them at our shop to get it resolved.

This gentleman was about 50-years old and looked 80; blind in both eyes and missing an arm and leg on the same side.

He talked to me quite a lot and told me the story behind his injuries; I honestly figured he had stepped on a mine in Viet Nam or been in a coal-mine collapse.

When he was a healthy lad of seventeen, he took a job at a filling-station/tire-shop in Eastern Kentucky.

On his first day of work, un-knowing and un-trained, some red-neck brought in a 16.5 wheel and an old used 16 tire and had him mount the tire on the wheel.

When he was airing the tire, it blew off the wheel explosively and left him blind and maimed, tearing off an arm and leg.

He was not thought to live and laid in a hospital for months.

I will never forget that guy and think of him everytime I see a 16.5 wheel.

With the bead being made as it is, a 16.5 tire/wheel is plenty dangerous enough even when the tire is the correct size.

Those not in the know have no idea just how dangerous air under pressure can be; every time I hear a big BOOM, I run out in the shop and count heads. :eek:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IE no "don't do it because it says not to on the tire"

That in itself should have answered your friend's question. cookoo

When something says "HIGH VOLTAGE", one doesn't go poking their fingers in there.

Seeing a sign that says "MINE FIELD", one doesn't usually go trotting across.

I am sure a search would yield dozens of horror stories from those missing limbs, eyes, and such who did not heed that simple stamped warning on the sidewall. :)

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I have a friend who lost her husband (of 6 months) to a split rim truck tire that let loose on him and, for the most part, cut him in half....

I do all my own tire mounting and have a healthy respect for them. I worked in the industry for about 7 years and still have all my original equipment parts! More than I can say about some of my former co-workers.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
That's pretty much what I figured (that It would be bad), I just wasn't sure if anyone had done it and what the results were. In the world we live in nowadays with "big brother" looking out for us, and all of the insane and non-sense restrictions placed on us I tend to ignore most printed warnings and try to use real world data, experiences and common sense...

So onto next question: since that tire / rim combo won't work out, and what are your suggestions for a good tire and wheel combo for :
D or E rated tire
About 35 in tall ( what are the differences in a 35 and its metric equivalent)
17 or 16 in rim
Aluminum Vs Steel
Looking for a mud terrain type tire, but still very street-able and lasts a long time

Thanks

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
That's pretty much what I figured (that It would be bad), I just wasn't sure if anyone had done it and what the results were. In the world we live in nowadays with "big brother" looking out for us, and all of the insane and non-sense restrictions placed on us I tend to ignore most printed warnings and try to use real world data, experiences and common sense...

So onto next question: since that tire / rim combo won't work out, and what are your suggestions for a good tire and wheel combo for :
D or E rated tire
About 35 in tall ( what are the differences in a 35 and its metric equivalent)
17 or 16 in rim
Aluminum Vs Steel
Looking for a mud terrain type tire, but still very street-able and lasts a long time

Thanks

You can get by w a D rated tire, but have to be mindfull that there are D rated that there are D rated tires on the truck.

a metric 35" = 315/75/16 MOST 315s are D rated

tknomaj

Reaction score
GOODYEAR MILITARY Take off tires they can be purchased as cheap as 200.00 for a decent set used or as high as 600.00 for a set that is like new.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who lost her husband (of 6 months) to a split rim truck tire that let loose on him and, for the most part, cut him in half....

I do all my own tire mounting and have a healthy respect for them. I worked in the industry for about 7 years and still have all my original equipment parts! More than I can say about some of my former co-workers.

In high school we were originally not allowed to do my split rims on my dad's truck.

I took the tyre to the big old centre post hoist, placed it on the ground laying flat wrapped the tyre with 3 chains tightly enough to be safe, loose enough to inflate safely, dropped the hoist down onto the tyre and hooked a remote line to the tube's valve. Then and only then did I ask the teacher if I was still not allowed.

He shook his head in amazement and said NO but grinning said don't do it when other students are around or you fail. I don't need anyone seeing this!:rotflmao

I did the tyre repair and all was good. He just stood there and shook his head the whole time.

Ya split rims....= Widow Makers

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More split-rims have killed AFTER they are rolled out of the safety cage, especially when one is squatted in front of them, installing the wedges and nuts.

Many blow the second the jack is lowered, when the tire contacts the ground.

Some wait until they start down the road.

No safety-cage, log-chains, or such help in any of these cases. :eek:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Worst part was always tightening the lugs. Nothing to stop it from taking you out. That's what I call "Staring death in the face"! Fortunately I never had, or saw, one come apart.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have a friend whom asked me if you could run a 16 inch tire on a 16.5 inch rim, I responded with... I'm not sure... I think it may fit, however is it safe is a different question. Have any of you guys done it, or know anybody whom actually has and has input?
(please don't respond with a no answer unless you have a legitimate reason or experience , IE no "don't do it because it says not to on the tire", or "I'm sure its unsafe" answers please!,)

I was in a shop when a 20in split rim came apart. It was like a spring bouncing around the shop for a few LONG!! seconds.I hit the floor face down & prayed it wound up stuck in the ceiling.

Any way I guess my answer would be another question. Why not mount a fith wheel hitch in the trunk of a car?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score

I was in a shop when a 20in split rim came apart. It was like a spring bouncing around the shop for a few LONG!! seconds.I hit the floor face down & prayed,it wound up stuck in the ceiling.

Any way I guess my answer would be another question. Why not mount a fifth wheel hitch in the trunk of a car?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01