kinda a twin turbo

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Sequential turbos produce more boost, and I believe they start earlier, parallel turbos are less efficient than single, but might allow you to run smaller turbos perhaps from Volvos, if space is an issue, you happen to have an unlimited supply of said hair dryer, or your babysitter dropped you on your head (your mother would never do such a thing)

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Is that alumaflex piping on that turbo? If so, that stuff dents and crushes awful easy. A harder pipe would be more advisable, but it is good for testing purposes I suppose.

It's hvac ducting, pretty tough too, it was a challenge to get that tight of a bend out of it.

Once it's all said and done, I will probably make a new intake out of pvc pipe and a cone filter.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think sequential turbos are kind of dumb. Compound is where it's at, although you should really ad an intercooler if you are doing that, because you would be double heating the air. Actual twin turbos usually are used to divide the load between two, instead of one huge turbo, but seeing as how nobody usually flows more than 35lbs/min with these motors, I don't think it would be worth the work of splitting them up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also Im looking at 16psi at 3500 rpms at 53lbs/min.....

3800rpms is closer to 60lb/min.

This is for a 7.0l motor. 7.3 at 3800 and 16psi is over 60 lb/min.

Now these are just rough numbers, but I would say they are within 10%. a whole lot more air flow than 35lb/min.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
i was just curios if anyone had ever one anything like this before. i will probably use two smaller turbos (like stated above possibly from a volvo) but more likely to be two factory ATS 093's with the wastegate played with. how would i make my own tubular design?

macbc926: i will probably end up doing something like that only with one on each side, i dont really care if it is as efficiant as a compound because i dont want much more than 15psi or so. what would two of those manifolds like you have cost?

i know i ask too many questions

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sequentials and compound are one in the same I thought.

On sequential turbos you don't run the low pressure(atmosphere) turbo through the high pressure, like you do on compound turbos.

Also Im looking at 16psi at 3500 rpms at 53lbs/min.....

3800rpms is closer to 60lb/min.

This is for a 7.0l motor. 7.3 at 3800 and 16psi is over 60 lb/min.

Now these are just rough numbers, but I would say they are within 10%. a whole lot more air flow than 35lb/min.

You would be flowing that much air, at sea level if you were at 100% ve, and had an intake air temperature of less that 100 degrees. at 85% ve and an iat of 300 degrees (non intercooled) especially on one of the smaller ats turbos, would be more around 40lbs/min. I don't even think the non gated turbos can flow 40lbs/min.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The rajay has a t4 flange, and the hx35 has a t3 flange. You will need an adapter, and with the extra height of an adapter it might not fit especially with a manual transmission (It will hit the master). I have the rajay kit, and an h1c with an hx35 turbine on it, and the adapter, and am going to try to get that to fit. I also have an h1e that I might bolt right to the manifold. My original plans were to have an h1c h1e compound kit, and have all the parts to do it, but I haven't yet.

would it still hit the master with a 3" body lift?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it still hit the master with a 3" body lift?

It's closer to the power booster than the master, but I think a 3" would clear it pretty well, also might make room for a bigger down pipe. The holset has a 2.5" vband, so something would have to be done about that.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
the downpipe is the whole reason for the lift, that and the front is the only thing that needs lifted (have about 10" of clearence betwen bed and tires unloaded and 5" loaded :sly) and i just got brand new leafs all around along with some overloads that arent installed yet. ;Sweet

Dyoung14: why cant you flip the manifolds?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
When twin turboing an idi, would it be better to install the turbo in series or parallel? I was just thinking it might be good to run a turbo that boost early into a turbo that boosts at higher rpms. Like maybe a sidewinder into an 088. Any thoughts there?

I was actually thinking of doing this very same thing! cept with a 093 and a banks non gated, should be good for atleast 20 psi and not be hurting the turbos

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the downpipe is the whole reason for the lift, that and the front is the only thing that needs lifted (have about 10" of clearence betwen bed and tires unloaded and 5" loaded :sly) and i just got brand new leafs all around along with some overloads that arent installed yet. ;Sweet

Dyoung14: why cant you flip the manifolds?

you can flip the passenger, but it points towards the accesories, an option for that would be put another driver side manifold on it, but the driver side hits the oil coole if you try to flip it

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
oh, damn oil coolers...:backoff-cuss
will it still hit the cooler if you install the driver side on the pass side and the pass side on the drivers side or the likewise?
im just trying to get away from all the tight bends on small piping

oh will most likely be removing ALL AC components no matter what

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
oh, damn oil coolers...:backoff-cuss
will it still hit the cooler if you install the driver side on the pass side and the pass side on the drivers side or the likewise?
im just trying to get away from all the tight bends on small piping

oh will most likely be removing ALL AC components no matter what

Im not sure, but it shouldnt hurt having the tight bends, the shorter the pipe you can make the better its gonna spool

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
i know on some of the kits there are some REALLY bad bends in there. the shorter pipe and im going to use smaller turbos so they spool even quicker. like i said earlier maybe a 093 ATS with the wastegate still plugged in. probably be pulled from a factory turbo truck that way they dont put out such high numbers and will spool quicker.
what i was worried about with tight bends is losing the velocity before it gets to the turbo

am i on track here, wastegated spools quicker than non gated, and non gated are more for high RPM but gated are for better launches? or am i totally backwards