Replacing E4OD Torque Converter Cost

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
A guy at work wants me to replace the torque converter in his 2wd E4OD truck because its slipping like crazy.
I'm almost wondering if the tranny is shot though. But asside that point, he wants me to do it and asked what its worth to me to do the job.
I have no idea, so whats your guys' input.
Thanks!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have never pulled an E4OD before, count on 2 full days for a job like this. You might do it in less time but assume the worst. If it were me, I would charge a minimum $400 labor (especially if you don't have a heated shop to work in this time of year) but I have no idea what a shop would charge.

I did a similar job on a powerstroke to install a single mass flywheel but that was also a 4wd so removal and install of the transmission was a bit more work than for a 2wd. Also more work involved changing the flywheel. I think I charged a little over $500 labor for that and a few other minor things the truck needed like tail light bulbs and a rusted rear brake line.

Make sure he understands that this might not fix the problem though. On the one hand it could be a blown converter and that would send crap through the transmission. On the other hand, a slipping clutch pack will not be affected by a new torque converter.

Is just the lockup slipping or is it failing to pull even from a stand still?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To check out slippage. Take it for a ride to see how it acts.
Block all wheels, set the emerg. brake, start it up, hold the brake on, shift into 1st, speed up 1800 RPM, do you feel any torque, do the same in reverse, any torque, if so the convertor is good, the TC will rattle if it's coming apart inside. If you get a lot of slippage in either 1st or rev. then the tranny is shot. Kind of tough to diagnose if your not familar on how they act.

First of all, does he have a turbo, crossover exhaust pipes are a *****, you know, break the flange bolts, rusted nuts. Top 2 bolts on the tranny. :mad: -cuss
Without a turbo.
About the same as installing a rear main seal. Set all four wheels up on cement blocks or jack stands maybe both. Gives a little more room to work. Should be able to do the job in 12 Hrs. Hey I'm 82 and done it in 10 Hrs, no turbo tho. The only trouble you might run into is the cross member bolts on the frame. If you have an engine hoist, support the engine with that. A floor jack under the tranny, use a board on the jack so you don't bend the pan. Disconnect the drive shaft at the rear. Unbolt the shifting mechanism, disconnect the wiring, unbolt the dip stick, don't remove, oil runs out, 6 bolts to the engine, 2 nuts on the tranny mount, jack up the tranny remove the cross member, slide the tranny back, unbolt the TC 4 nuts. TC weigh's 55 lbs. dry, drain it if it has a plug.
When going back together, put the TC on the tranny, make sure the splines line up. When the TC is all the way on it should be 1/2" back from the tranny flange face. Two guys are best when moveing it back to the engine so the TC don't fall off, and to line up the bolts to fly wheel. Have fun. :D
Oh, and it's nice to have someone to hand you the wrenches.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never use cement blocks for anything other than blocking the tires. I don't think they are safe for supporting the weight of a truck.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my truck I am able to fit under to work while raising or lowering the transmission but to get it out from under it, I simply raised the one side using the floor jack once the transmission is already down.

Having the truck on its own wheels can come in handy because you can inch the truck forward or backward for that critical phase where the transmission is within a few inches from the engine. Although, that can also be very dangerous if you are not careful! (I always have some large blocks near at least 2 separate wheels to prevent it from rolling farther than I need)

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Just doing a converter, $400.clams is good. Unless it's a person who likes to help. Then ask about $800 (shop cost) :D

Most important. Make sure the converter seat all the way. Three clicks should be felt.

Seeing how you like to dig into the old Ford's, this project should take you a day at the most.

Be sure to test the vehicle before you pull it apart. Just in case the tranny is shot, not the converter.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 days?????? i can have it out,back in and driving down the road in 3 hours for 250.00 plus fluid,filter and front pump seal.

sassyrel

Reaction score
2 days?????? i can have it out,back in and driving down the road in 3 hours for 250.00 plus fluid,filter and front pump seal.

true--but remember--there are many on here--that aint full time mechs--and dont have the tools that full time mechs do either--nor the experience--TRUE???????

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may also be complications like rusted bolts or broken parts that put up some other form of resistance. You never really know when you come across a truck you haven't touched before.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The very first thing to do is pull the codes. Their will be codes if the converter is bad. This way you will know if it is the converter or more to it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score

Come on. Next time someone walks into your shop wanting that service performed, make sure you remember your quote. Don't worry I completely expect you to change your price for a real customer walking into your shop, so I won't hold you to that. Seriously, I called 2 shops after work today and asked what they would charge to replace the torque converter on a 92 F350 diesel with a 2wd E4OD and they both were within a few dollars of eachother at +-$500. I'll add that neither of them said they would have it done in one day and neither said that price included any parts (those prices assumed I was going to supply the TC).

Heck, my boss doesn't allow me or anyone else to service our shop truck (an 06 F350 PSD) so I have to take it to a "reputable diesel mechanic" for even oil changes. The last oil change it got (which also included a new air filter) cost $421 and change. I know because I paid the bill with my company credit card when I picked the truck up.

I'll consider the $400 charge being a fair one since I'm not a professional mechanic, and I'd be doing the service outside in the cold and snow.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I cant imagine that book time would pay 4 hours for this job. And you guys think shops charge too much?:D;Really

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I cant imagine that book time would pay 4 hours for this job. And you guys think shops charge too much?:D;Really

Since we've been having issues with people making their point clear on here lately, I must admit I need you to clarify your statement. lol I don't understand which side of the fence your on. :dunno

As I said, I called 2 shops today and they both were around $500 for the job minus parts, and neither of them said they'd get it done in one day.