bellhousing adapters sae etc.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Don't tell Mel, but I've been toying with the idea of putting a cummins engine (probably a 4bt) into my truck. I'd like to keep the ZF5 I have in there now. There are some commercial adapters out there, but many of the bread truck donor engines I've seen have adapters with them as well. What I can't quite figure out is what the deal is with the stock adapter between the 6.9 and the ford flywheel?:dunno Is the back of the IH engines an SAE pattern, or is it something else entirely? Thanks for any info!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahn... the IDIs have a Ford diesel to SAE adapter on the back of them. Without the adapter the IDI is supposed to bolt up to a SAE#3 bell. There is some dispute on this so don't absolutely take my word for it. Seems like a guy that works with metal for a living like you might could make his own adapter.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Id look up tenesee diesel conversions. When it comes to 4bt swaps I have no idea but these dang adapter plates can get pricey.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy a ford van id will more than likely have the four speed in it. I know thats what I would use if I could find one.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. The confusion on my part, is based on the whole sae bellhousing thing. I believe that the various engines have proprietory patterns that adapters are then bolted to. In the case of the ford/idi business then the bellhousing bolts to the adapter. I have no idea why Ford choose to make the bellhousing for the diesels different than their existing big block one? The problem with using the 4bt bread van adapter is that it oddities a Ford small block bellhousing!
If I find a good enough deal on a 4/6bt I'm going ahead, but the adapter to zf5 is going to be $$$ either directly from my bank account, or in time building it from scratch.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Found a few pics of a 7.3L out of a medium duty. I don't think the back of the block is SAE. It is just a proprietary flange to which you can bolt an SAE flywheel housing.

Attachments

• med_duty_444_a.jpg
    med_duty_444_a.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 97
  • med_duty_444_b.jpg
    med_duty_444_b.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 106

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Exactly right! That 7.3 shows the adapter to some sae bellhousing. Apparently they are all round like that one, just different diameters. I don't know if cummins ever made a zf5 adapter?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of ZF5 adapters out there, but I hear they're expensive. Alienturtle just finished adapting a ZF to a 6bt, I don't know what his approach was. You're in an enviable position of being able to work with metal better than most of us could imagine, but as you say it'll still take your time.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
As far as I know many ford step vans that have the 4bt do come with the t-18 t-19 adapter but You can bolt a zf-5 to this one I believe is the one on gasoline engines.
There are some 4bt swap sites and many sell this parts on their classifieds for far less than a de$$$trocked adapter.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Exactly right! That 7.3 shows the adapter to some sae bellhousing. Apparently they are all round like that one, just different diameters. I don't know if cummins ever made a zf5 adapter?

A ZF sure... but the smallblock pattern. ;) I think the diesel ZF pattern you are thinking of are likely a Fordcummins and Destroked item.

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SAE Bellhousing Chart

Good morning....just ran across this thread and thought I would include this chart that I use pretty frequently. Hope this helps.

Quigly

Attachments

• SAEchart.png
    SAEchart.png
    16 KB · Views: 156

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01