LOCKUP Torque Converter C-6

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to knock the idea but,That looks like a GM 10 inch impeller high stall pitched,stator and turbine using a friction plate out of a ford AXOD lockup. Those frictions are prone to overheating from slippage, What makes that setup work better?Have they up sized it to 12 inch?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deflection from the turbine and pump, as torque is applied the hydraulic coupling will push the turbine up against the lockup clutch.

The guy who invented it said he offered it as a solution to the car manufacture he was working with at the time, they did not use it cause it was too efficient.

I dont think it will slip at all, the AXOD converter is small diameter, the one pictured for the C-6 is a 12inch DIA and the clutch is not much smaller.
He is also using 2 clutches for lockup, he said they were the same size and material as the E4OD

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok been in contact with my Rep he says things are on the last few hurdles so in the next 2 weeks I should get more information, I cant wait either I need one of them toys he has...

Javier

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even if they lock it up somehow,no ones going to like the price,and with c6's becoming less and less still on the road today,im afriad this isn't going to be cost effective for the builder lol.
BUT,even if they don't sell many of the diesels ones,there are still plenty of classic cars that use the c6,so they may get some $ there of course.then again,are classic car owners worried about fuel economy,when mostly they're just for car shows (those with $ i mean/good cars.those who would pay.)
it'll never be a true mechanical locking convertor.so what little gains it may make,likely won't be worth the $ the unit will cost.of course won't know much until there's a production convertor out...which imho,is highly unlikely to ever happen.
all you need to do is think things through,
1.whats the cost of an E40D or zf5 swap?
2.whats the cost of a GV unit to get your OD plus a semi locking TC (at best) ?
3.whats the average going price for a whole idi truck now with a OD trans already?
it'll have to be a pretty low cost convertor.even then sales would be a tiny fraction of current idi owners w/ c6's.no offense,but most(keep in mind i say "most") owners with trucks pre-od are driving those trucks because they're low cost.not because they're preferred.
i think a diesel specific locking C6 TC is doomed from the start as far as trying to regroup ones $.even if it is possible to build one and lock it via oil.
this is why im very doubtful even if possible,to ever see such a thing actually out on the market.

Last edited: