LOCKUP Torque Converter C-6

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the converter and have pics to prove it.
I spoke with the designer and he is 110% knowlegable,
the frictions used are OEM FORD Lockup clutch material.
many different stalls are possible than before.
Bulletproof front to back.
Looks like I am purchasing one ASAP for my rig...

You must be registered for see images

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Not too bad! ;Sweet

Sounds like a great upgrade for my brothers Cummins/C6 F350.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what controls the lock up on it?

deflection, as the torque comes on the stator and turbine seperate a determined amount, applying hydraulic pressure on the lockup clutch plates.

The designer worked at Chyrsler as transmission designer everything he learned about effiency there and was not able to use on Chrysler units due to shafting the customer he now is free to put to good work in the aftermarket!

when lockedup there can be as much as 8500lbs of force holding the plates to the clutches, DIRECT DRIVE.

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i'll bite.who makes it?

will let you know when available, if you look on the first pic the yellow note pad I was the first one to put my information down for availbility so when I hear about it you will be the first to know...

Javier

Last edited:

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Use to work in Chrysler transmissions eh?

Ask 'em why he hasn't made a good transmission in the past 30 years. lol

That lock up torque converter would be sweet to have in my motorhome!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this thread dont get locked cause some swinging joe says this converter is not a fact but just my opinion and lockup cant be done, bla bla bla, and that I am shoving these pictures up his nose...
:flipa

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use to work in Chrysler transmissions eh?

Ask 'em why he hasn't made a good transmission in the past 30 years. lol

That lock up torque converter would be sweet to have in my motorhome!

He told me! I already knew it. JOB SECURITY.

The goverment oked Chrysler vehicles speedometer to be fast by one MPH at 70 mph...

just one of the thousands of scams pulled behind the icon, no wonder they are in bad shape! :rotflmao

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deflection, as the torque comes on the stator and turbine seperate a determined amount, applying hydraulic pressure on the lockup clutch plates.

when lockedup there can be as much as 8500lbs of force holding the plates to the clutches, DIRECT DRIVE.

This is an interesting concept, so the thing is fully automatic then? By your description it seems like it will engage lockup in every gear, including reverse, am I correct? So say you're in 1st gear pulling heavy, the converter flashes and then applies the lockup clutches and stars pulling away, then when she shifts into 2nd gear what happens? The driveline is still under loaded so theoretically the lockup will not disengage at all, am I correct? I assume the designer has provided enough clutch material to handle the fully-locked upshift under heavy load, but your statement about it being OEM Ford clutch material raises a slight concern - what transmission is said clutch material designed to from the factory? Reason for asking is the E4ODs are a bit weak in that department, but I hear the newer 5-spd automatics hold up great to heavy loads - so if it's a 5R110 clutch that he's using then I guess all is good, but if it's E4OD or 4R100 it may not really be the best choice.. Also what disengages the clutch when the driveline load is gone, I see no spring that does that in those pics (of course it may very well be that such a spring is not needed at all)... And finally, what's the cost of one of these things?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm all on board with this but I have a few questions too. I know the stock E4OD torque converter has 25 square inches of friction material and my triple disc BTS converter has 150 square inches of friction material. We all know the stock converters can do the job till you really load them up. thats why the triple disc is offered. I drove for many years using a stock setup towing heavy too. Now I have no need to ever feel I can't tow anything that my rig will move. This new desing seems like some needed parts are not pictured. I can understand that too. I hope this is the C6 answer to a lockup converter too. I will be watching and thanks for "finding this foe all of us"...;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sounds like a great upgrade for my brothers Cummins/C6 F350.

Amen Brother! :sly

So, when will these be available and is there a ball park price? I also wonder when the lock up happens,..Like the E4OD it kicks in about 1/2 way through 3rd gear. When it locks in does it act like an extra gear also?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wonder when the lock up happens,..Like the E4OD it kicks in about 1/2 way through 3rd gear. When it locks in does it act like an extra gear also?
This actually made me think some more (dangerous activity) - the E4OD converter acts like an extra gear because it's either off or on, there is no in-between with it. The setup Javier is describing here does not have an on/off switch like the E4OD has (that's what the TCS essentially is), instead it relies on what I can best describe as "backpressure buildup" to start pushing the turbine against the converter's front face hard enough for the clutch to start grabbing. This brings up the question of what happens when there is enough force on the turbine to make it come in contact with the clutch friction material, but that force is not enough to make the clutch engage all the way and stop the turbine from spinning with respect to the stator? You know, kinda like how you slip a clutch on a bolt-action transmission, there is some force on it but not enough to "lock" things together - wouldn't this condition wear the converter clutch material prematurely?

By the way, Javier, I am not trying to rain on the converter builder's parade, I'm just thinking out loud, that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online