Rent a Scan-tool?

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Been thinking about the possibilty of starting a rent a scanner program. Basing it on something similar to the Autozone tool rental program you pay a lofty deposit on your credit card that is refunded once the scanner is returned to me via prepaid return label. The steps I have in mind are as follows:

1. You have an issue with your truck that requires you to have a scanner that can read all codes. You call or email me.

2. I get your charge card # and charge $1100 to your card and ship you OVERNIGHT a genuine Ford scan tool. $1000 is a deposit and will be credited to your card account once the scanner is back in my possesion in the same condition it was sent to you in.

3. You scan your truck determine what the codes are.

4. Then you package the scanner back in the box it was sent to you in affix the prepaid overnight label. Drop it off at any UPS Store or UPS shipping point.

5. I get the scan tool back make sure it is in the condition it was sent to you in and complete and we credit your credit card back for the $1000 deposit.

6. Provide me with the code and all symptoms/problems your having and together we troubleshoot to find your problem.

7. We determine what parts your repair will require and you decide what your best avenue is from there.

So what do you think? I know $100 is on the high side but that includes the air freight both ways on the scan tool. Sure you could get it done at a dealer a little cheaper but this gives you the convenience of doing it on your schedule not the dealers and it also lets you know what the problem is rather than depending on someone else to tell you what the problem is. Do you think it would get utilized if I started a program like this? My biggest fear is some ******* will decide $1000 aint a bad deal and keep the scanner and they cost well over that for a Factory capable one. Maybe have a clause if you keep it then your card will be billed the full amount of the scanner or something like that?? Let me know your thoughts please.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea Dale, but you have already pointed out the pitfalls that are set up for you to tumble into..

BTW....... check your PM's please.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Sorry, I suffer from Dieselitis.....I don't have $1100.00 left on any credit card:D

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by kwazyca
Sorry, I suffer from Dieselitis.....I don't have $1100.00 left on any credit card:D

I realize that it is a pretty hefty amount but these things run well over the intial deposit I intend to charge. And I betcha if your truck was broken you could "find" some room on card knowing it was only go to be on the card for 48 hours. ;)

Only reason I am considering this is because I have had to talk 3 or 4 different people out of buying over $1000 worth of parts because I didn't think that was their problem. Granted I hate not selling them the part because they think they need it but I want to help people not screw them (unheard of from a dealer huh? LOL ) All of this starts because their buddy Al that works at the Kenworth dealer (and he knows all there is to know about diesels because he works at a heavy truck dealer:rolleyes: ) has told them they need a new IDM AND a set of injectors all at once. My point is this I have had to refer 3 or 4 customers to their local dealer to get the codes pulled because I just couldn't help them without knowing that. If I had the scanner to offer as an option I might hear back from more of these people. Only had one get back to me out of the 4 that I know of.:(

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but....are there other alternatives for scan tools on the market that arent so expensive?

What I mean is, I bought a used SCMT and it will pull codes and get me in the ball park of what I got going on in the PCM. But I dont think that the SCMT will pull all the codes will it????

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
This might be a dumb question but....are there other alternatives for scan tools on the market that arent so expensive?

Not that read all of the PSD codes from what I am finding out.
There will be in a short while though it is all going PC based and if you have a laptop or a PC close enough to connect it you will have read-only capabilities soon as this is on the fast-track with a couple of the heavy hitters of aftermarket scanners.

Here is the current info on Ford's website on diag equipment.

Overview:
Rotunda currently offers a full suite of Diagnostic tools ranging from the NGS scan tool to the full service diagnostic tool, WDS.

With the arrival of the new Controller Area Network (CAN) vehicle communication protocol in 2003, Ford is moving to a flexible and modular diagnostic tools strategy that will let you use standard computing platforms (e.g. PC's, Pocket-PC's, NGS, etc.) with Fords new VCM and VMM devices.

New Hardware:
Two new pieces of hardware are being developed as the core of Fords new modular tool strategy:

VCM
The Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) is capable of communicating with all Ford vehicles via the diagnostic link. This one device will be used by all Ford diagnostic tools and is the core of the modular strategy starting in late 2003. It also means that having a VCM will give you access to all of the VCM software listed below.

VMM (Targeted Launch 4Q, 2005)
The Vehicle Measurement Module (VMM) will handle making the actual electronic and transducer based measurements (e.g. fuel pressure, DVOM, etc.). It will be launched late 2005.

New Software:
The VCM requires an annual software license to enable it. A two-year license is included with the VCM when you purchase it. A valid VCM software license automatically gives you access to all software packages that are available for the VCM, at no additional cost.

NGS+
The New Generation Star Tester (NGS) was not capable of supporting the CAN protocol. To extend the usefulness of NGS for CAN vehicles, Ford engineered a Caddy that adapts the VCM to the NGS replacing the Vehicle Interface Module/Data Link Module (DLM). This new configuration is called NGS+ (i.e. "NGS plus CAN") and is available now.

PDS (Portable Diagnostic Software)
PDS operates on Pocket-PC devices along with the VCM to offer high-end scan tool functionality beyond the NGS+ and is available now.

IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software) [Uses: VCM & VMM]
WDS software will be ported to a standard PC platform to coincide with the VMM launch (i.e. 4Q, 2005). This WDS replacement software will launch under the new name of IDS. Moving IDS to a PC will help technicians by integrating the access to both diagnostics and service information on one machine. IDS will use the VCM and VMM which will allow the technician to perform both basic diagnostics and more dynamic testing for the more challenging intermittent concerns.

Software Delivery
The standard method of delivering these new software packages and their updates will be via the Internet. CD delivery of all software will be available at an additional cost when you order your VCM.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
sounds like a great idea to me... what type of unit are you talking about renting, it would be a great tool to rent if it was one of the good ones, the only problem I can see would be getting it back in one piece

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by jlayne
sounds like a great idea to me... what type of unit are you talking about renting, it would be a great tool to rent if it was one of the good ones, the only problem I can see would be getting it back in one piece

PDS with the VCM. So basically a palm pilot with a crapload of info in it.

Yea I have some reservations but I am going to write an electronic contract up that the renter has to agree to pay full replacement value if damaged while in their posession(shipping I will just insure it for full value both ways) or not returned. Not sure exactly how I am going to word it yet but it will be a CYA legaleze of some sort... the owner can come up with that side he's the lawyer...

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Originally posted by powerstrokeshop
PDS with the VCM. So basically a palm pilot with a crapload of info in it.

cool, i have been looking at something like that or a pc based scan tool for myself, i haven't used a scan tool that runs on a palm, only a genesis system that i absolutely hate

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Image tags must be turned off in thsi forum click the links and you will see them

teomikey

Reaction score
I am new to the site as of today, your idea to rent is really a good one. I am and engineer and have strong background in remote access for devices. I have some ideas
if you want to pursue this idea I think you can control your units and remotely help the clients via secure vpn connections. This is not a hard thing to do and quite easy to mange.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the peoblem with this, is that...
most people don't know how to operate them properly.
and you can go to your local mechanic shop and have it scanned for less than a benji
with minimal wait time.

teomikey

Reaction score
go figure day late dollar short..it was good idea but you would need 50k capital to really make it work and have
remote access to the scan tool to help clients

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online