oil leaking by starter?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Talk about taking the fun out of the hunt! :rotflmao

Great idea though. They have that stuff that's oil compatible?? Only seen it for AC, but then again, I never looked for it either. :dunno

Yup, they have it for oil/ gear boxes, transmission fluid, coolant , you name it, Takes all the guesswork out of tracing leaks, and sometimes you find them coming from places you would have never guessed

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oil sender plug on the back of the engine block is another place for a leak. A very difficult place to see or work on too with a turbo sitting on top of it....

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil sender plug on the back of the engine block is another place for a leak. A very difficult place to see or work on too with a turbo sitting on top of it....

I personally like the two simpler oil leak locations, the one listed by ICFA, and the valve cover gaskets. In the case of a turbo, return and supply lines.... unless it's coming out the intake, and yes it can.

Quantities of oil will more than likely come from places of higher pressure(Not necessarily high pressure IE: 100's of psi- it obviously isn't spraying- veeerrry baaad), like the oil sender. I've seen several sender bibs(extensions) get cracked at the block because people either lean on them or from vibration.... like on older diesels...and gassers for that matter.

I wouldn't go head gasket first if you don't have oil and water mixed in either oil pan or radiator. Of course a simple pressure test will eliminate the heads.... or the radiator with a STANT tester. If there's water or oil where it shouldn't be inside.... don't run further or you could hydro-lock the pistons... worst case scenario is looking at the tops of pistons from the new viewing port created by water in cylinder.

Get that dye for sure... it will make things much easier. I'll be looking for some for my 671... :sly :rolleyes: Thanks for that tip fellas.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And is yours leaking when running and when parked?

Mine leaks very little when running or when parked for a while but just after I shut if off it pukes about a tablespoon size puddle on the ground then stops. By the time I remember to get under there and look, it has stopped.cookoo

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
A thought - do leaks other than a head gasket show oil running across the seam of the pass side rear of the head gasket or is this defiantley a head gasket?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score

I will have to check that out on my truck. i seem to still have some oil. i did change the valve cover gaskets last fall. you would think the oil from that would be burned off by now though.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is a report of the leak after 200 miles on saturday. I lost one quart of oil, I have oil in my intercooler pipes(possible bad CDR?? how do you test it again??) and nothing seems to be leaking on top of engine. Could oil in my intercooler pipes be related to me losing one quart in 200 miles? Is it possible for the VC to leak that much? The oil is seen right by the pass. side bell top bellhousing bolt and top of starter. If it was the oil sender plug, how could I see it that far up, isn't it lower than the bellhousing?? This thing really has me goin nuts and if its not the VC, I dunno what the heck it is. Thoughts?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes a VC gasket can leak that bad, if not installed perfectly eg..pinched in one corner or something. But valve cover leaks are noticable from the top of engine, you are able to see the seam between the VC and head at the back of the blocks and examine for dampness. Run your fingers along that seam down the backside of the VC and see how fresh the oil is.

Mine are dry...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed some was barely getting through the front but not dripping just kinda making it moist and oily, I'll check the back when I get a chance.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it is the VC, easy fix. Also you could use a little "Ultra Black/Gray" to seal the gaskets better, as well as to keep them in place when you install them again.

On Chevy's, the oil pressure sender is on the back of the block by the distributor. I'm not sure where it is on these engines, but I'm sure one of the experts here can enlighten us.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure sender on mine used to be right behind the bellhousing kinda sandwiched between the engine and trans. That changed when the turbo went in, so now i have a plug there.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure sender on mine used to be right behind the bellhousing kinda sandwiched between the engine and trans. That changed when the turbo went in, so now i have a plug there.

Drivers side or passenger side??

Where did you put the new one??

If it was pass side, could it be where the leak is coming from, or is it too far back?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online