oil leaking by starter?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some oil leaking by the starter. It would be on the side farthest towards the front and it looks like its leaking by where my tranny bolts up to. After about an hour and a half of sitting, i got about the size of a baseball spot of oil. What you think?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's either gonna be from the turbo area or a leaky headgasket. My bet is the former based on your description. Best bet is to get the engine all clean and then start looking around with a mirror.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would it leak from the turbo, im not familiar with turbos so where could i look by the turbo?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any fuel leak on top of the motor will wash the dirt off into the valley pan under the intake manifold. That has a drain way in the back. It emptys right on top of the bellhousing to trans joint. Then it drips down off the starter. You migh look around on top of the motor and the injection pump. Look for wet injectors or injection pump...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, what ever happened 93fordturbo? I have a similar problem with no solution yet.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is like shootin craps lol.

It could be anything. I know Ive sat looking at oil leaks for a looong while before tracking them down. You just need to look harder/longer.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that it aint a valve cover gasket?

Mine is doing the same thing on the other side of the block. I have replaced the VC gaskets just to eliminat that possibility.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I maybe, I don't know how a VC could be leaking out so fast though??

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Best bet is to get a couple of bottles of UV dye for oil and run it in with the engine oil for a little bit, then run the truck up on ramps and go after it with a UV light and glasses like used for detecting AC leaks ( most parts stores will carry a cheap set for around $15-18) and the leak will leave a bright yellow glowing trail leading straight to the point of origin, no more guesswork required ;Sweet

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to get a couple of bottles of UV dye for oil and run it in with the engine oil for a little bit, then run the truck up on ramps and go after it with a UV light and glasses like used for detecting AC leaks ( most parts stores will carry a cheap set for around $15-18) and the leak will leave a bright yellow glowing trail leading straight to the point of origin, no more guesswork required ;Sweet

Talk about taking the fun out of the hunt! :rotflmao

Great idea though. They have that stuff that's oil compatible?? Only seen it for AC, but then again, I never looked for it either. :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about taking the fun out of the hunt! :rotflmao

Great idea though. They have that stuff that's oil compatible?? Only seen it for AC, but then again, I never looked for it either. :dunno

Yes they have it for oil, I have some and it's very useful. Gotta like just looking at a drip and getting to the root of the of the issue in no time!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could slip some to my neighbor.... I think he's losing his mind. cookoo

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Is it possible for a head gasket to leak that much oil? Without looking at it I would still bet either a VC or head gasket. Unlikely for the valley to start leaking out of nowhere.
For your sake and my own I hope it aint the head gasket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online