7.3 IDI power specs

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The '94 turbo IDI was forced to be conseratively / under rated as to not out perform the PSD due out only a short time later.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Anyone notice that the factory turbo setups have such a low power inrease over NA? Do they only run 3 lbs or something? The truck I'm getting has a Banks sidewinder kit in it and it's like driving a Ferrari compared to my NA 6.9

I get about 11 PSI out of my factory turbo if I push it hard...........

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I guess the conservative part makes sense, eh? I'm sure they're pushing more power than that. Their numbers are probably closer to WHP numbers for the factory Ford turbos. Power delivery is so different too! I drove a turbo 7.3 and a PSD in the same day and while they both feel similar in top power, the Banks 7.3 is into the power way sooner than the PSD. it's just more linear where the PSD dogs and dogs and then kicks up hard around 2500. At least from my experience anyhow.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom wrote that article and did a fine job. He also consulted me, and if I recal, I may have been the one who sourced the factory data that I had available. The published numbers are someone subjective, as many of you have observed. Different engines had different horsepower ratings depending on where their target marketing area was, and the elevations associated with them. Factory horsepower ranges went from around 155 to 175 for the 6.9. There was a similar range for the 7.3 All those numbers represented different IP calibrations, which is why there are so many part numbers for the 6.9/7.3 injection pumps. There are really only 4 physically different pumps, but there is something like 16 part numbers for those same 4 pumps, each representing a different calibration. I like the idea behind that web site forgotten diesels, but I'd say their info is very course. For instance, they list the applications as F250/F350, but seem to have forgotten that Ford made E series IDI vans. :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01