7.3 fuel filter head and lift pump fittings

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a golden rod to the truck betweeen the lift pump and the stock filter. Can any one tell me what size and type of fittings are on the lift pump and the fuel filter head? I'm going to replace the hard line with a fuel line and use hose barbs, but I would like to know what size the threads need to be.

Thanks,
Mark

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Lift pump and filter head should be 1/4" npt, standard pipe thread. From the filter head to the injection pump gets to be another story. Still has a pipe thread adapter in the filter head, but injection pump has an ORB ( O Ring Boss )fitting going into it.

If you want to make the system more servicable, you might want to consider going with JIC fittings. You can get them with pushlock ends and they can be used with affordable hose. A good hose shop should have what you need in either case ( and a hint, the hose shops also carry better quality barb fittings than parts stores, and generally cheaper price as well if you still wish to go that route )

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not going to mess with anything after the stock filter head. I"m just tired of spending $30 twice a year for fuel fliters. Plus, I like the idea of being able to see what's in the bowl.

Unfortunatly, I don't have any hose shops anywhere near me. I'm probably going to order the fittings from MSC or McMaster-Carr. I'll take a look at the JIC fittings. In researching this subject on this forum, I've noticed that a lot of folks recommend them.

Thanks,
Mark

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I know what these threads are... In the fuel tank side of the filter the stock fitting thread into the aluminum housing is 1/4 inch pipe threads. Thats NPT or tapered 1/4 inch pipe threads. You can also buy straight cut pipe fittings. They usually are used in the electrical conduit fittings. They can't seal and hold fluids like the tapered fitting can. The brass fitting from the lift pump to the filter head is a 3/8 tubing. I know it sounds crazy that it 3/8 down to 1/4 inch but that what it is. I know you are not changing anything on the injection pump side but heres those fittings sizes. Off the filter it 1/4 inch pipe tapered threads in the aluminum housing and the other side of that is the orb fitting into a 5/16 steel pipe or tubing. Now into the injection pump. Its 5/16 tubing orb fitting with 1/2x20 bolt threads. Thats right... Its nothing special like lots of us felt it was. I went up to mikes (knuckledraggers machine shopwith all these filters housings and fittings. He checked themcause I felt the pump inlet was close enough for 1/4 inch nps threads to work.... Nope... they feel good but wont seal. So there you have it... Mystry solved... Thanks Mike....

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something that I'm very interested in as well. I have one of the goldenrod filters but I've not found an acceptable way of mounting it. How, where and what will be your mounting thoughts.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm making a mount out of some 3/8x1 1/2" aluminum bar stock. I have a mill at work, so I'm getting a little fancy. I'm basically going to run some 3" long pipe nipples out of the golden rod and clamp onto those. I have it drawn up, but I'm not going to start making chips until I have all the fittings purchased. That way I know it will fit when I'm done. I'll post a pic of it all when its done.

I'm a little confused now about the fittings. So the fuel line between the pump and the filter is a 3/8 hard line, but what size are the threads? I can buy fittings for 3/8 tubing that run from 1/4" NPT to who knows what (3/4 or bigger). Don't anyone take this the wrong way. I'm not upset or anything. I just want to make sure that I buy fittings with the right thread pitch.

Thanks,
Mark

jrocket

Reaction score
For anyone curious, the hard line threads in the lift pump are 5/8-18. (On my 92 7.3 NA)

American Grease Stick Co. part # FHF-17C allows you to loop the 3/8 fuel line on the lift pump when converting to an electric lift pump and not using a block off plate.

Interchange:
Edelmann 821660
Weatherhead 1570
Dorman 785-408

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online