Register to remove these ads

Thread: 7.3 fuel filter head and lift pump fittings

Thanks

Default 7.3 fuel filter head and lift pump fittings

I'm looking to add a golden rod to the truck betweeen the lift pump and the stock filter. Can any one tell me what size and type of fittings are on the lift pump and the fuel filter head? I'm going to replace the hard line with a fuel line and use hose barbs, but I would like to know what size the threads need to be.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1993 F250 Extended Cab
    7.3L Non-Turbo
    4x4 5 speed, 3.55 gears
    full float rear axle D50 front
    235/85r16 Michilen AT2 on front
    235/85r16 Grabber AT2 on rear
    Custom front retrieval system w/ 2" receiver and two anchor points for shackles.
    -Proven very usefull when both axles are half burried in the mud with a load of wood on the back.

Not quite as stock as she used to be.

Thanks

Lift pump and filter head should be 1/4" npt, standard pipe thread. From the filter head to the injection pump gets to be another story. Still has a pipe thread adapter in the filter head, but injection pump has an ORB ( O Ring Boss )fitting going into it.

If you want to make the system more servicable, you might want to consider going with JIC fittings. You can get them with pushlock ends and they can be used with affordable hose. A good hose shop should have what you need in either case ( and a hint, the hose shops also carry better quality barb fittings than parts stores, and generally cheaper price as well if you still wish to go that route )
    '92 f350 cc dually, 5 sp+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie , Solid Flywheel & Kevlar Clutch, 7.3 ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl Induction, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator,Evan's waterless coolant,Zero pressure system, MS Tech Fan Clutch, 16" & 10" electric pusher fans,Derale Electra-cool remote oil cooler, 4" exhaust,Dual Facet Duralift E-pumps, 150 Gallon bed tank from a Volvo semi, Amsoil bypass filter w/ Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine , Victor Reinz gaskets , Western Hauler bed, Warn M12000 winch, Per Lux fog Lights, Borgeson steering shaft, 1" hockey puck lift,Rear air conditioning, Air seat, Onboard air system with rear air bags with automatic level control,West coast mirrors, Bilsteins

* Life is like a crap sandwich... The more bread you've got, the less crap you have to eat

Thanks

Thanks! I'm not going to mess with anything after the stock filter head. I"m just tired of spending $30 twice a year for fuel fliters. Plus, I like the idea of being able to see what's in the bowl.

Unfortunatly, I don't have any hose shops anywhere near me. I'm probably going to order the fittings from MSC or McMaster-Carr. I'll take a look at the JIC fittings. In researching this subject on this forum, I've noticed that a lot of folks recommend them.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1993 F250 Extended Cab
    7.3L Non-Turbo
    4x4 5 speed, 3.55 gears
    Custom front retrieval system w/ 2" receiver and two anchor points for shackles.
    -Proven very usefull when both axles are half burried in the mud with a load of wood on the back.

Official GMM hand model icanfixall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,015 Posts

I know what these threads are... In the fuel tank side of the filter the stock fitting thread into the aluminum housing is 1/4 inch pipe threads. Thats NPT or tapered 1/4 inch pipe threads. You can also buy straight cut pipe fittings. They usually are used in the electrical conduit fittings. They can't seal and hold fluids like the tapered fitting can. The brass fitting from the lift pump to the filter head is a 3/8 tubing. I know it sounds crazy that it 3/8 down to 1/4 inch but that what it is. I know you are not changing anything on the injection pump side but heres those fittings sizes. Off the filter it 1/4 inch pipe tapered threads in the aluminum housing and the other side of that is the orb fitting into a 5/16 steel pipe or tubing. Now into the injection pump. Its 5/16 tubing orb fitting with 1/2x20 bolt threads. Thats right... Its nothing special like lots of us felt it was. I went up to mikes (knuckledraggers machine shopwith all these filters housings and fittings. He checked themcause I felt the pump inlet was close enough for 1/4 inch nps threads to work.... Nope... they feel good but wont seal. So there you have it... Mystry solved... Thanks Mike....
    89 SRW crewcab, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, 8 speed BTS E4OD with a Gear Vendors, Shifts smooth and positive with any load on it. Triple disc torque converter has 150 square inches of friction material, stock has just 25 square inches of material.Transcold Carrier pump helping out Moose Pump and just loven it. 4 inch Straight piped, hydroboost with a 1 5/16 inch master cylinder. 7.3 turbo upgraded motor, ported heads, intake & exhaust manifolds. ARP studs. Block sleeved on all 8. Mahle turbo pistons milled, are 24 to 26 thousands above the deck, then ceramic coated with Tech Line CBX. Line bored and balanced. Decked block. Each piston is 1/4 and 1/3rd gram of each others weight. "BB" injectors. Custom Rodney Red aluminum radiator and running cool. Now it needs my new Hypermax intercooler to help out the famous Moose Pump and a set of Moose Injecters thrown in just for giggles...Double FatMat inside of the crewcab... Nice and quiet too...

Full Access Member
    Thanks

This is something that I'm very interested in as well. I have one of the goldenrod filters but I've not found an acceptable way of mounting it. How, where and what will be your mounting thoughts.
    93 F350 CC 7.3 turbo ZF 5 speed 174,390 mi. "Dragon"
    84 6140 Allis Chalmers 40 hp 3 cylinder diesel tractor
    04 Caddy SLS (wifes)

Thanks

I'm making a mount out of some 3/8x1 1/2" aluminum bar stock. I have a mill at work, so I'm getting a little fancy. I'm basically going to run some 3" long pipe nipples out of the golden rod and clamp onto those. I have it drawn up, but I'm not going to start making chips until I have all the fittings purchased. That way I know it will fit when I'm done. I'll post a pic of it all when its done.

I'm a little confused now about the fittings. So the fuel line between the pump and the filter is a 3/8 hard line, but what size are the threads? I can buy fittings for 3/8 tubing that run from 1/4" NPT to who knows what (3/4 or bigger). Don't anyone take this the wrong way. I'm not upset or anything. I just want to make sure that I buy fittings with the right thread pitch.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1993 F250 Extended Cab
    7.3L Non-Turbo
    4x4 5 speed, 3.55 gears

It needs a turbo... seawalkersee's Avatar
    Thanks

Subscribing so I can see the final product.

SWS
    LISTEN to the whole thing...then talk trash. I DARE you...liberal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=qtjfMjjce2Y