Why is my rear tank draining my front tank?

Reaction score
When we are driving our 96 F250 gasser on the rear tank is sputters and tries to die out. Even with a full tank it runs like it is almost empty. The strange thing is it is sucking fuel from the front tank and over filling. The truck runs fine on the front tank. At first I thought it was the selector valve. I thought it was somehow redirecting fuel into the rear tank due to a malfunction. We even went to the parts store and bought a new one. Well guess what… this truck does not have one. It has a block that all the fuel lines converge into. So I now believe the sending unit in the rear tank is bad. That would explain the sputtering. But how do I explain the removal of fuel from the front tank to the rear?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your fuel switching valve has major issues.
change it immediately. gassers tend to go fireball on this whereas diesels just make a huge mess.

Reaction score
That is what I was going to do. But this truck does not have a valve. There is a block where the fuel line all meet and that is it.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me see if i can explain this.
the 92 up f-series gas trucks only have a "tee" type of connection between the two tanks and do not use a selector valve, they have a one way valve in the fuel pump assy. so what happens is when you switch the fuel tank switch from rear to frt the rear fuel pump assy one way valve is supposed to close and not allow fuel to either enter or exit the tank til said fuel pump is turned back on. if the fuel pump is going bad the one way valve might not be closing and letting the frt pump fill the rear tank while running the engine. (pumping fuel into the other tank since valve isnt closed) and also overfill the rear fuel tank til it comes out the filler tube. i hope i explained that so you can understand it.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
some of the ford gassers in that era have a round black deal that the fuel lines go through. pressure from whichever fuel pump is turned on move a diaphram inside switching pressure side and return. some only switch the return. Does this truck have a frame mounted pump also?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some of the ford gassers in that era have a round black deal that the fuel lines go through. pressure from whichever fuel pump is turned on move a diaphram inside switching pressure side and return. some only switch the return. Does this truck have a frame mounted pump also?

they changed from that system to a completely different system in 1992.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online