F-Superduty Dana 80?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more this is tires. About the largest you can go without spacers between the rims is 255 85 16. Toyo's M55 is about the tallest at almost 34". This got me to thinking about 19.5's. Saw a Dodge 3500 this week end that had 285 70 19.5's. Kinda big but would be OK. Searched the price on these things-about $400 each. Steel 19.5 rims are about $230. Think I'm stuck with the Toyo's. Calvin got any input on tires? Steve
steve-
I'm all about load capacity on my F450's. A "light overload" is 15-18k GVW. A heavy overload is 19k-21k GVW.:eek: My Bridgestone R265's at 235-85-16 never let me down. They did lighten the hell out of my wallet though.-cuss-cuss

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few other things to consider with the with the read end swap. One is the E brake.

Are you going DRW?

If you like I'll pull a front wheel and take a picture of the setup on the front of my truck(I think mine says BUDD?).

Are you going this way for the DT you bought?

Thanks again Steve. I've been thinking about the e-brake as well. Not sure how I'll do it yet. Again, Dynatrac has parts to add e-brake calipers to the Dana 80, but I'm going to have to call them and check on price.

I'm wanting to stay SRW.

A photo of the front hubs would be great, but I hate for you to go to that much trouble.

Yes, it is for the DT466 project. I gotta have a beefy rear axle to handle the torque I plan on making with the DT (hoping for 1600-1800).

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, I really do think your going overboard a tad. If I were you, I would get that DT-466 mounted up and then see if you can break that axle that you already have under your truck. There are guys on the dyno's turning 1000+ HP with 3/4 ton axles in their Dodges and PSD's. To break it, your going to have to keep the tires from spinning. They are going to break loose long before they break in two. I can appreciate wanting to beef up the truck for the sake of scaling, but by the time your said and done, you may have well mounted your pickup body on a S-1600 chassis. What your doing, others will want to do. And like I did with the Bronco, you have to prove that your lighter running gear is or is not up to the task. A lot of people told me that 1/2 ton axles would not carry a diesel, and that the torque would kill the Ford 8.8. Neither turned out to be true, and I could have kept those axles as long as I wanted to. Keep in mind that truck designers expect people to abuse the snot out of something when they buy it. They overbuild it so the company keeps a good reputation. Not only will you build your truck, but you will take care of it, and when it comes time to do something that you would only do if it was someone elses truck, your not going to do it. Unless your going to enter the NTPA pulling circuit, and take the license plate off the back of your truck, I think you may have your priorities out of order. :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, I really do think your going overboard a tad. If I were you, I would get that DT-466 mounted up and then see if you can break that axle that you already have under your truck. There are guys on the dyno's turning 1000+ HP with 3/4 ton axles in their Dodges and PSD's. To break it, your going to have to keep the tires from spinning. They are going to break loose long before they break in two. I can appreciate wanting to beef up the truck for the sake of scaling, but by the time your said and done, you may have well mounted your pickup body on a S-1600 chassis. What your doing, others will want to do. And like I did with the Bronco, you have to prove that your lighter running gear is or is not up to the task. A lot of people told me that 1/2 ton axles would not carry a diesel, and that the torque would kill the Ford 8.8. Neither turned out to be true, and I could have kept those axles as long as I wanted to. Keep in mind that truck designers expect people to abuse the snot out of something when they buy it. They overbuild it so the company keeps a good reputation. Not only will you build your truck, but you will take care of it, and when it comes time to do something that you would only do if it was someone elses truck, your not going to do it. Unless your going to enter the NTPA pulling circuit, and take the license plate off the back of your truck, I think you may have your priorities out of order. :dunno

I have to disagree a bit.:angel: I know the 10.25 will be stressed beyond its design limit with the DT. I don't want to break that axle. I have other trucks (including the crew cab) I can use it or parts from it on if needed in the future. I hate tearing up good stuff. Plus, there are very few aftermarket options for building a stronger 10.25 axle. There are tons of stuff for the Dana 80.

Sure Dodge/Cummins guys are running high HP with stock axles, but they come from Dodge with a Dana 80 already. The only PSD I've seen in the 1000HP range was at TS this spring. He was running a different axle. I'm not sure if it was a Dana 80 or 110, but it was not the factory 10.5.:dunno

Also, keep in mind that, just like the IDI build of the truck the 1st time, I plan on driving this everyday. It will be my primary vehicle. I will drive it all across the Eastern US for the Rallies. Because of this, I do want it to be a bit over-built. The last thing I want is a broken axle/pinioin/gear hours and hundreds of miles from home. This is another reason I'm likely going to use a SCS Gear Transfer case. Sure it is expensive, but they have never had one fail.:hail

The Dana 60 will stay up front, but the rest of the drive train will be changed (DT466, either a Spicer 7 speed or Fuller 6 speed overdrive tranny, SCS T-case, Dana 80 rear.)

Honestly, I'm really not trying to prove that everyone can do this swap simply or easily. I don't think that it can be in all reality (at least not the way I want the finished product to be). It is something that I've wanted to do for a while and will try and make it reliable enough to drive everyday and strong enough to race or even truck pull on occassion.;Sweet

Heath

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Gotta agree with Heath on this one. While the axles would be just fine if he never drove the truck harder then he does now even spinning the tires is going to be harder on stuff then it is now. How you ask when spinning is spinning? With that much power and torque the drivetrain is going to be accelerated so much faster that there will be a bunch more strain on it. I've seen plenty of drag cars break in the burnout box. And while the half ton axles will handle a diesel if you never ask or rarely subject them to work more then what the truck or bronco could have done with the gas motor. Also I do not beleive that they would break right away but I think the life of the axle will be severely shortened if used hard everyday. Now with all that said I think I would go ahead and build the truck and just keep in mind to not get carried away too much or too often and enjoy the truck and sort out any bugs while getting the axles sorted out

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After talking things over with Dad, I think we have a good plan to solve the spring perch issues. Still haven't heard anything from Marmon-Harrington or from Dynatrac on the hubs. But, at least I know we can mount up the axle without too much modification now.

Heath

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The 'true' Dana 80's like that F450 one use a whole larger size of spindle ends. The bearings are larger, as is the hub body, and so is the axle flange pattern. You can't simply count on being able to fit an 8x6.5" pattern around it.

IMO, go look for a Dodge Dana 80 w/discs (01-02). You need extra strength as far an torque input - not weight carrying ability.

With the Dodge Dana 80 you have an upgrade path on the shafts... alloy, 37 spline, even 300M with drive hubs. :sly

AZDIRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Calvin, you're right. These Dana 80's are huge compaired to the 10.25. Talk about heavy. You should have seen me and Dan (AZDIRT) trying to load the thing from his flatbed to my jacked up F250 bed.LOL What fun.:rolleyes:

Heath

Yes, very heavy indeed. Heath, if you PM me your address, I can send the straps and bolts to you for that axle.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the game here, but would E450 cube van rear hubs fit on the 88-97 F450/superduty rear dana80? they share the same rear caliper design? sold a guy a dana 60 front and he is thinking of puttign it in his 97 F450 chassis. we were discussing what options woudl get him 8bolt wheels to match the front.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I had an 00's E450 diff - the 70HD version without parking brake. 8x6.5" pattern.

It had the same axle flange size as other D60 and 70 diffs... not the F-superduty size which is around 5". I think you would further find the bearing sizes (and spindles) aren't compatible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online