neutral safety switch?

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my neutral safety switch is giving me problems. does the same thing fordguy100s truck that he described in a post i read earlier doing research on this issue, i can get power on from my ignition, but it will rarely ever crank over from the ignition lately, and its getting really annoying to have to get out and start the truck from my solenoid almost every time now :rolleyes:. can somebody post a pic of where my switch is on the tranny and what it looks like cause i have no clue, i have a c6 auto tranny, is there any way i could clip the wires and splice them together so it would make a constant connection or some sort of other bypass? any help would be appreciated :hail

p.s. my backup lights have NEVER worked since i got the truck, which if my research is correct, im guessing the n.s.s. could be the culprit as well?

-thanks

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
on a c6 it is mounted to the trans behind the shifter.
no pictures, but it's simple. Follow the linkage from the engine bay to the trans.
Where it attaches to the trans (it'll swing front to back PRND21) You need to disconnect that linkage and it's behind it, bout 4inch tall maybe 3 wide, plus there is a 4wire? plug that goes into it. On this switch is a bushing, it is supposed to rotate when you shift so it knows you are in Park.
I've not known many switches to go bad, so it may be that your shifter isn't getting it all the way into park. Or you need to re-align the switch.

as far as bypassing it, sure, find out which wires need to connect and use a paperclip and some electrical tape. I'd rather have one working myself.

If you REALLY want, I've got a 5mgbyte pdf book on the c6 trans that shows where it is, but honestly a drunk monkey could find it/figure it out.
Here is the info from the book:

1. apply parking brake
2. With the manual linkage properly adjusted, loosen the two switch attaching bolts
3. Place transmission in neutral and insert gauge pin (no. 43 drill, shank end) into the gauge pin holes of the switch. the pin has to be inserted a full 31/64''
4. Tighten the two neutral start switch bolts 55-75inch lbs and remove pin from switch.
5. Check the operation of the switch, should start in park and neutral and backup lights should work only in reverse.

your welcome,
Drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ohh and a quick test for this without getting under the truck would be to slowly move your shifter (while sitting in the driver seat) and trying to crank it in any other position.

I bought a truck I had to start in reverse once until I got this set.
and be happy, 70's era F-series had a switch in the column for most autos, that sucked worse.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh and a quick test for this without getting under the truck would be to slowly move your shifter (while sitting in the driver seat) and trying to crank it in any other position.

I bought a truck I had to start in reverse once until I got this set.
and be happy, 70's era F-series had a switch in the column for most autos, that sucked worse.

This.
My half ton is this way haft to pull the shifter hard up and to the left (counter clock wise) and it will start. sometimes it will just start other times not.

But the shifter also has alot of play in it ( bushings in the linkage are way worn)

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 issues are probably related. The only wiring going to a C6 is a group of 4 wires; 2 for the neutral safety switch, 2 for the backup lights. IIRC all of them go to that same switch right behind the shift linkage. Pretty sure the wires for the NSS are purple and purple with a white stripe. I can crawl under mine and check if you want. You can just splice the 2 together to bypass the NSS.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 issues are probably related. The only wiring going to a C6 is a group of 4 wires; 2 for the neutral safety switch, 2 for the backup lights. IIRC all of them go to that same switch right behind the shift linkage. Pretty sure the wires for the NSS are purple and purple with a white stripe. I can crawl under mine and check if you want. You can just splice the 2 together to bypass the NSS.

i think i found it. its right behind where the shift linkage goes into the c6, theres 4 wires, one is black, another black/pink stripe, and the other 2 are pink/blue stripe.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
poke what?
you've got the info you needed.... Have you tried setting the switch? if not, have you taken a multimeter and figures out which two wires to make a jumper for?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't jumper it, not safe. Reset the switch. Just think if you started it in gear and was parked behind someone, might just slam them in the ass.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I can understand being poor and not being able to afford a switch.
I would at least try to set the switch properly as explained at the bottom of post #2

Chances are it's just out of alignment or you need to adjust the shifter arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online