Rust PREVENTION

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the metro NYC area and I've been looking for a rust-free diesel pickup, either 1st-gen Dodge or OBS Ford.

If I find a nice clean truck, I'm gonna want to keep it that way! I would want to take serious rust PREVENTION steps to ward off the evil orange cancer.

What are the most effective rust-prevention programs, and should they be applied by professionals?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most effective rust prevention I have witnessed and believe in, is a method shared by a Rhode Island resident. He said every fall he would load up a paint gun with ATF, and spray the entire underside of his truck until it was dripping wet. My son bought this truck, and when we did the body lift I could see all the places that he missed. The difference was HUGE. Significant cancer growth anywhere the paint gun didn't hit it, and just a dark dirt everywhere it did, with no rust under it. Now we live on a dirt road, and I can't see myself doing this because of the dust, but if you only exist on asphalt, I'd think it the way to go.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I agree on the ATF, however I would say hammer down the DUSTIEST road you can find. It sticks to the ATF and makes a solid shield against any salt, water or anything else that causes rust.

The previous owner of my truck had it undercoated, and drove it on gravel roads. My cab bloor, bed floor and most of the side panels survived 13 winters of hell, mostly in tact.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. My concern was that the dust would trap moisture, and turn into a muddy mess.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My truck has about 1/4" of dust, grease and dirt that was once undercoating lol. If you scrape away the crud, the paint is litterally still shiny and in tact underneath.

My frame looks like a scaled mess, but if you peel back the "scales", which are just undercoating scales, the frame is MINT in my 1993!

Hell, my rad support is almost as good as a new one!

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF idea is interesting (and cost-effective, compared to specialized paint).

It's viscous enough so it could be shot out of a paint nozzle and really get into the nooks & crannies.

Using a product like POR-15 would be expensive and time-consuming (and much less likely to hit the nooks).

ANy other thoughts out there?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The best method i have found is do NOT drive the truck in the winter, buy a beater. Mine underneith is showroom condition after 14 years and 80k

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
What if you 're trying to protect a rust-free car as well? I only want to rust-proof one vehicle, keep the other off the road during rain and snow.

Not going to happen. Salt will get more places than you can get any rust preventive.

If you have to drive it in the winter...... Wash it as often as possible(underneith is more important than the outside) i am talking every other day. do NOT keep it in a warm garage

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in a former life, I worked in the capacity of maintaining a stable of 7 auto's 6 bikes, 1yacht/with tender, and /hot air balloons.
The owner had kin in lake george( east coast) who also had an equally impressive stable of exotics/euro trash, this guy had an electric setup that as I recall was atatched to the frame and worked th reverse the electrolisis/corrosion causing rust.
I dunno if it helps anyone out.
I had a co in germany that would do the redneck cosmoline on the otr rigs, his was diesel, and something with a milspec number on it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the absolute best way to prevent rust and drive your vehicle is to move to a place they dont salt the roads!

as the salt is the killer, what about making a burshless car wash for the underside of your truck, turn it on and drive over it for about 15 minutes once a week?
this should clear all that crap out....
just a thought,

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^truck wash at the quarry does the under side to keep the highway clean.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the ATF, I have also heard of using WD-40 and chainsaw bar and chain oil. The bar and chain oil is sticky and apparently also contains additional "corrosion inhibitors" beyond the oil itself. This would be shot on with an undercoating gun. I couldn't take the mess of either of these methods (although the ATF residue might not be too bad). Each fall, I purchase a case of Eastwood Rust Encapsualtor (big spray cans) and spray the entire underside of the truck with it. Yeah, it costs about $150 bucks for the case, but is easy to apply and with a "straw" on the can nozzle, I can get it into some tight places. I first power wash the truck thoroughly, then spray it with a cleaner like "purple power" and then power wash again. Then spray the rust encapsulator. Is all this a big PITA to have to do every year? Yes! But it keeps the underside in decent shape and (with proper cleaning) the paint can be touched up or reapplied at any time. Plus, you don't have to deal with that oil film when working on the underside of the truck (well, except for the oil that the engine leaks anyway) As far as in the doors, up under the wheel arches, inside cab corners, etc, spray those with a good rust proofing (the oil/wax type) that sticks but will also flow into the seams before it "sets up". No matter what you do, driving the truck in the winter salt is going to cause some rust - no getting around it. If you want it to last as along as possible, do not drive it in winter. Unfortunately, that is not an option for me - winter is when I really need the truck. And regular under body washes do really help!

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao Guys guys guys, you are doing this ALL wrong. All you need is a leaky truck to avoid rust! Preferably the power steering, yes; But the other oils work as well. :D The under carriage of mine has been coating itself from the leaking power steering as long as I've had it, not a bit of rust! ;Sweet :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.