How Much Does Your Truck Weigh?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck is around 7000lbs and its only a 250 ext cab.... just go to the local grain center or truck stop to get weighed and if you are considerably more than the junk dealer i would be calling the county auditor who is supposed to check that stuff.....

Weights and measures is usually the domain of the United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Weights and Measures.

Actually, his truck weighing light would make him more payload, not less.

To screw somebody at the scales, you bump the tare heavier, not lighter.

I shouldn't know about this, should I. :angel:

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this sound accurate to anyone else, or should I be questioning ths guys scale - and the amount I just got paid for my scrap metal?

For anyone that sells product that is weighed off the truck, be it scrap-iron, shelled-corn, meat-hogs, whatever, it is a good idea to establish a base TARE weight for the truck at a trusted scale that is government inspected regularly.

A "CAT" scale at a truck-stop, the local feed-mill, or rock-quarry are good choices.

This can be done days or even years before, so long as the fuel-tanks are full and the normal junk is on the truck and no more.

Print the empty TARE weight on a card, laminate it, and tape/glue it to the back-side of the visor.

When you are going to the scrap-yard or wherever, fill the tanks with fuel, and first weigh the loaded truck at a different location, preferably the one where you established your TARE weight; be sure to get a scale-ticket.

Then you can go to the scrap-yard or wherever, weigh the loaded truck, weigh the empty truck, and you have a good solid set of numbers to compare. ;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Midnight rider My county has a wights and measures department that is in charge of checking gas pumps,food scales,ANYTHING that gets measured for resale. I had to report a gas station for messing with their off-road diesel pump(put 120 gal in my 100 L tank:rotflmao)

To the OP my 86 F250 6.9 4spd 4x4 w a toolbox with nothing in it and one tank of fuel weighs 6200

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight rider My county has a wights and measures department that is in charge of checking gas pumps,food scales,ANYTHING that gets measured for resale.

:dunno Around here, it is always the USDA.

They have some huge multi-axled trucks, complete with their own fork-lift, that checks all the big scales, such as the feed-mills, concrete plants, quarries, and such, complete with various sized HUGE weights.

Some guy in a USDA van goes around checking the delivery amounts at the fuel-pumps; he has some very accurate one-gallon, five-gallon, and ten-gallon measuring cans.

I was eating lunch at the country store a few days ago when the USDA guy came in to check the little scales that they sold sliced bologna with; he had a brief-case full of various weights from a grain up to five-pounds.

When checked, they always put a colored inspection sticker in a prominent place with the date punched and "PASSED" or "FAILED". ;Really

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
:dunno Around here, it is always the USDA.

They have some huge multi-axled trucks, complete with their own fork-lift, that checks all the big scales, such as the feed-mills, concrete plants, quarries, and such, complete with various sized HUGE weights.

Some guy in a USDA van goes around checking the delivery amounts at the fuel-pumps; he has some very accurate one-gallon, five-gallon, and ten-gallon measuring cans.

I was eating lunch at the country store a few days ago when the USDA guy came in to check the little scales that they sold sliced bologna with; he had a brief-case full of various weights from a grain up to five-pounds.

When checked, they always put a colored inspection sticker in a prominent place with the date punched and "PASSED" or "FAILED". ;Really

Actually fuel is measured in pounds, not gallons:eek:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the van weighs 6480 with my fatness and my buddys skinny ness..so she's prolly 6050 with half a tank..

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6800 with one tank fuel me and a couple add ons including
headache rack bigger rearend larger springs and some junk
but i got 250 regular cab and 4x4

plus some 55 gal drums full of scrap that sat out in the rain for a week never hurts especially wen you bring it in when raining

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The logger in my avatar and sig weighs in at 7400lbs with fuel, tools, and a neat, unoccupied interior. I would say 350lbs for the tools, box, and headache rack. the box and rack are aluminum and pretty light.

sootman73

Reaction score
our county has an auditor that does such a thing. they stick a sticker with the date of inspection and their guarantee.

the guys i farm for their dad used to be the guy that worked for the auditor and would conduct these tests.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Places like that are weighing what you bring in. A long as that is acurate who cares? So it's off by 500lbs initially, it will still be off by 500lbs on the way out, you aren't being screwed. Again, they only have to have an accurate DIFFERENCE of weight.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
There are two scales where I'm from, the First on I weighed 5860, and the second one I weighed 5920, Don't recall how much fuel I had but the tool box was full of stuff, I was in the truck both times.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck weighs 6750 with a tank and a half of fuel and my 5r hitch in it.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
mine weighs 6440 without me or anything in the truck and 11-12 gallons of fuel between the tanks (1/4 tank in each)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online