How Much Does Your Truck Weigh?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made a run to the scrap metal yard this weekend. Ran my truck across the scales (after unloaded) and it only weighs 6050 lbs. after subtracting my own weight; and that was with about 50 pounds of junk thrown in the tool box.I figured a crew cab, 4wd, long bed, diesel would be about 1000-2000 pounds heavier than this.

Does this sound accurate to anyone else, or should I be questioning ths guys scale - and the amount I just got paid for my scrap metal?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my dad's truck (in sig) was 7000 lbs:dunno There was a thread last summer about weight, I posted it in that one not long after it was weighed.
Travis..

sootman73

Reaction score
my truck is around 7000lbs and its only a 250 ext cab.... just go to the local grain center or truck stop to get weighed and if you are considerably more than the junk dealer i would be calling the county auditor who is supposed to check that stuff.....

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove mine on a scale a couple of years ago. I was told 7600 empty. This is a 4x4 ext. cab with a topper.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Wow...my truck, empty, 1/4 tank of fuel and me NOT in it weighs a cool 6970 pounds.

I would be questioning the scrap metal company's scales!!

I'll re-weigh tomorrow morning before I climb in the big truck.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you might be on to something, sootman.

My truck is exactly 6000lbs on our local scrap metal scale. Thats with no spare tire, half a load of fuel and NOTHING in it, including me. I have to think that a crew cab 4x4 has more weight than my truck. Granted my truck has a heavy E4OD transmission and a transfer case, but the frame, cab and front end are all lighter. I've never known of a ford crew cab 4wd of this era to be under 7000lbs.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Mine is 7500 pounds with about 20 gallons of fuel in it. You'll see a difference between the 250's and 350's. The o.p is a 350 so I would think that it should be a little heavier. I'm not sure how much heavier my flat bed is compared to a factory one.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
my rig weights 7200 with me, tools, and 20-25 gallons of fuel and a regular bed. the flatbed and same stuff brings it to 7600 (lot more thicker steel, aux tank, and headache rack. I would think that without me and the tools, same fuel with a regular bed your scaled weight is still a few hundred light.

punk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'92 CC dually......8160. checked last nite with full load of fuel, tools, and some camping gear. My fat butt in it too:eek:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I think you are on to something sootman....

I had a similar experience. I was taking the TT back to store at my parents house in IL. There is a grain elevator there, and they always leave the scales on. I you look at my sig, that was the rig setup I was driving. Now, there are 2 scales at this elevator, on at the "old, abandoned" office and one at the new office. I did not want to go around the new office, so I went up to the old one since I have for many years in the past. This has a nice digital readout on it (unlike the one that used to be a cross the road and had a BIG dial on it). My truck and TT weight in at about 19,200 lbs. I thought WOW this is heavier than I thought. Pulled off the old scale and went to mom and dads. Unhitched and stored the trailer, and we took off to ge get some dinner. I ran just the Ex across the same scale and it was reading 13,400 lbs. AT this point the big BS flag goes off, I pulled the truck off the scale and the scale said 5400.... oops. Ran across the new scale and it was at about ~8000 lbs. so it may be the scale......

sootman73

Reaction score
after all these posts i would be going to(not calling) that scrap yard and asking for a re-weigh and show them a ticket from a certified scale of what your truck actually weighs(if its significantly different) i would not consider 50lbs to be a substantial difference but a few hundred i would. And if they give some excuses then simply go to the county auditors office and show them the slips from both scales(preferably on same days) and explain to them whats going on.

Its thier job to make sure that scales weigh honestly and gas pumps give a true gallon. ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
In my case, the first scale I choose, they do not use anymore.... so it can say anything it wants...

The second one was at the office they use daily, and was more along the lines of what I was expecting... so in my case I choose poorly.......

But I agree with the one at the scrapyard..... if it seems off, I would head to a "CAT" Scale at a truck stop RIGHT THEN and get a real certified weight.......

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines weighs 6100 with half a tank of fuel and a 160 pound front bumper. I would take it to another scale.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one load was 1200 pounds - which is about 200 pounds more than I thought i had - and the truck still had a harsh ride. Part of the equation I didn't mention is that I didn't get any actual paperwork stating the weight, and the guy's English was so broken I might have misunderstood him. I'll have to swing back in there some time and see if I get the same weight as before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01