Warning Buzzer/Chime ??

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
The wiring diagram for my 1988 shows a warning buzzer module that has multiple inputs. 1. Seat belt not fastened KO, 2. LH door open w/ lights on, or 3. LH door open w/ key in ignition LOCK.

Mine buzzes with the seat belt not fastened, but that's all. Were those other warnings a fancy option I just don't have? The rest of the truck is bare bones - no power anything, no courtesy lighting, no underhood light, and so forth. So I'm thinking the headlamp ON warning may also be an option. Or is it just broken?

Thanks,

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's broken. AFAIK ALL vehicles by '88 had a buzzer or chime for the lights on or key in position. I had an '84 E-350 van that left the factory as a bare-bones cargo van that had a buzzer for the key and lights.

Some people like to rip everything out, but I like my truck to be idiot-proof LOL I've never tried to diagnose a failure in this system, though, so I don't know how to go about it. I do recall hearing that, if you can find a modulator that chimes instead of buzzes, it's a straight swap...and it would be nice to do that someday :)

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Anyone have more info about addressing this? I've left my lights on a couple times and would like to avoid doing so in the future. I need the buzzer as a reminder some times.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Here is info relevant to 1988.

The solid state warning module is just above and to center of the accelerator pedal. All of my inputs there were good except for 158. C305 is gray and found just to left of steering column very close to brake light switch. I have isolated my problem to the ignition switch - it will not ground wire 158 when the key is in the lock. If I short 158 to ground, the buzzer sounds when the LH door opens.

Good luck,

Attachments

• warning buzzer.jpg
    warning buzzer.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online