Register to remove these ads

Thread: Warning Buzzer/Chime ??

1988 F-350 DRW
    Thanks

Question Warning Buzzer/Chime ??

The wiring diagram for my 1988 shows a warning buzzer module that has multiple inputs. 1. Seat belt not fastened KO, 2. LH door open w/ lights on, or 3. LH door open w/ key in ignition LOCK.

Mine buzzes with the seat belt not fastened, but that's all. Were those other warnings a fancy option I just don't have? The rest of the truck is bare bones - no power anything, no courtesy lighting, no underhood light, and so forth. So I'm thinking the headlamp ON warning may also be an option. Or is it just broken?

Thanks,
    Jim Jim Jim

-- 1988 F-350 (type F379) 7.3 NA diesel ZF5 4.10 DRW 11' service body
    -- 1981 Toyota pickup 2.2L diesel 5-speed LB
    -- 1980 Mercedes 300SD 3.0L turbo AT

Thanks

I think it's broken. AFAIK ALL vehicles by '88 had a buzzer or chime for the lights on or key in position. I had an '84 E-350 van that left the factory as a bare-bones cargo van that had a buzzer for the key and lights.

Some people like to rip everything out, but I like my truck to be idiot-proof I've never tried to diagnose a failure in this system, though, so I don't know how to go about it. I do recall hearing that, if you can find a modulator that chimes instead of buzzes, it's a straight swap...and it would be nice to do that someday

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Anyone have more info about addressing this? I've left my lights on a couple times and would like to avoid doing so in the future. I need the buzzer as a reminder some times.
    1989 F-350: CC, SRW, Long bed, 7.3L IDI, E4OD, 3.55, 2wd, XLT Lariat
    2002 VW Jetta Wagon: TDI, Auto w/ chip & nozzles
    2000 VW Golf: TDI, 5-speed swap w/ chip & nozzles
    1998 VW Beetle: TDI, w/chip & nozzles, 5-speed removed FOR SALE, please inquire

1988 F-350 DRW
    Thanks

Here is info relevant to 1988.

The solid state warning module is just above and to center of the accelerator pedal. All of my inputs there were good except for 158. C305 is gray and found just to left of steering column very close to brake light switch. I have isolated my problem to the ignition switch - it will not ground wire 158 when the key is in the lock. If I short 158 to ground, the buzzer sounds when the LH door opens.

Good luck,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Jim Jim

-- 1988 F-350 (type F379) 7.3 NA diesel ZF5 4.10 DRW 11' service body
    -- 1981 Toyota pickup 2.2L diesel 5-speed LB
    -- 1980 Mercedes 300SD 3.0L turbo AT