1998 4700 With dt466e

cdwood388

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 1998 4700 dt466e with an auto trans. THis will be to haul my four wheelers and 4wheel drive on the bed and my 6k camper behind. It has 195hp right now and was wondering if I could turn it up to the 300 range maybe a little less just to have more power. the truck won't see 10k miles a year. It will have about 8k or so on the bed if that matters. What will be a safe hp level? There are a lot of hills where i live, like 3k climbs here in NM and Colorado. Any help is appreciated.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
What Automatic transmission does it have? Most likely it is an Allison AT540 series. Not the best choice as they are only rated to about 22K gross. And are marginal at that. The one thing I have learned since becoming a medium duty owner is that a manual transmission is the best choice. Next would be an automatic with a lockup torque converter and overdrive. The AT540 series Allison is a non overdrive, non lockup torque converter transmission. In my truck the cruise rpm is 20 to 25% high because of the inefficient torque converter. I have another post describing the change over I am making to an Eaton-Fuller 6 speeed.

As for turning up the power, The DT466E is an electronic controlled engine. Any power increase would have to be reprogrammed at an International dealer or there are a few aftermarket programmers available. I don't have any personal experience with them. The International upgrades are pricey and they may require other upgrades on the truck to handle the additional power output.

The 195 HP rating is more than enough to do what you are talking about doing with the truck. The motor makes plenty of torque in the rpm range you will drive it in. Trying to compare it to pickup truck HP numbers is not apples to apples.

My truck started at 175HP and I had it upgraded to 210HP and did not notice any major difference. And to do that International required a Fan and Fan drive upgrade as well as changing the drive shaft to the next larger size U-joints. Very expensive with 4 driveshafts on a 254" WB truck.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
There is a way to get what you're looking for. Simply, injectors get machined, ECM gets some reprogramming, and an HX40 turbo. You will need to get the numbers off the injectors, and the hp rating. Getting 300-350hp isn't that hard, it's just not as cheap as the mechanical DT466's.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Getting 300-350hp isn't that hard, it's just not as cheap as the mechanical DT466's.

Amen! The P7100'd DT466 is the best engine to have here!!

I drove a tandem with 190 HP rating (8 speed direct). It grossed 60 000 pounds loaded and it couldn't get out of it's own way!!! Even when empty I had loaded trucks buzzing past me like I was sitting still.

The newer engines have more torque but I agree with going to a stick over an auto! I have driven both and found the manuals a little more fuel efficient and easier to put power to the ground with.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
60k with 190hp?!?:rotflmao
That's so sad it's funny!

I kid you not...and I live in.....well...not so flat ground...it could SMELL a hill. I have life MUCH easier with the same load...but with a 525 N14 celect plus:sly

but seriously, the DT466 is a tough motor is it would do 60K 10 - 15 times a day up some perty steep inclines and keep coming back for more.