Oil Leak? on Cold Start

rmckee242

Reaction score
My 97 dually had been parked for several days while I was attending a class. Had been really cold during the day and in the teens at night. Started her up when I got ready to leave and it puked oil out the drivers side of the engine somewhere. Didn't crawl under to look because only about a cup or two (looked like) ran out. After it had ran a few minutes it stopped. When I shut it down and started back up during the trip home it didn't happen. Only thing that changed is I plug the truck in at home to be easy on cold morning starts and it wasn't plugged in this time. I'm sure something is screwed but what is it? :dunno

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Started her up when I got ready to leave and it puked oil out the drivers side of the engine somewhere. Didn't crawl under to look because only about a cup or two (looked like) ran out.

oil cooler o-rings leaking?

rmckee242

Reaction score
Could bad o-rings leak on a cold start-up. Plugged in at home it has never done that no matter how cold the outside temp is.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, oil cooler O-rings leaking, mine has done the cold leak for over a year unless the outside temp is above 25* or unless it is pluged in. Not a big job to change out the O-rings just messy.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be changing mine. Are these parts I need to get ahead of time or standard o-rings?

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Another one, wow

Looks like this, I'm pressing the log into the rear header. You can see the other header in the background.
2 orings on each end, Ford dealer will have them, if they don't, try another Ford dealer.
You must be registered for see images attach

I can dig up the part#'s for the orings if needed.
Got the gaskets from Napa.

This is one of those jobs...........probably 10 ways to do it.

LCjeff

rmckee242

Reaction score
No need for the part numbers I'll call my buddy at the local dealership Monday. Got to thinkinking and that explains why that side of my engine appears wet but never drips that much. Got a few miles until my filter change on a first run of Auto Rx. Probably wait until I change the filter and get real messy. Thanks much. Read alot on hear but don't post that much but when I do you guys always give good advise.

rmckee242

Reaction score
One more thing. Did some research now the question is do I raise the drivers side of the engine or not. I want to remove the entire assembly because I don't want to risk cracking the front cover.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
How much do the o-rings run and how big of a job is it to change them? My uncle's truck does the same thing but to the extreme. Pukes out about a quart every time you cold start it but then doesn't leak at all once it warms up. I topped off the oil after it warmed up this morning, drove it 1,400 miles today and didn't leak at all after it warmed up. Still full after the end of the trip. Stockbridge, MI to Lebanon, MO and back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online