Typ4 Camshaft

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
How many of you are using the Typ4 Camshaft?
What kind of benefits are you seeing?

I am wondering if the Typ4 cam would help with low end turbo spool???

Currently I am using a HX-35/12 on my S-1600's 7.3 and I cant help but notice how poorly the turbo spools at less than 2000~RPM. If a little 5.9 Cummins can spool it at 1500 no problem why cant the 7.3 do it better?
Must be in the cam profile, right?:dunno

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
From past conversions with Russ, it will help with low RPM spooling, but not a lot.

Some hot side turbo modding and the torque cam seem to be the ticket.

Last edited:

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you are using the Typ4 Camshaft?
What kind of benefits are you seeing?

I am wondering if the Typ4 cam would help with low end turbo spool???

Currently I am using a HX-35/12 on my S-1600's 7.3 and I cant help but notice how poorly the turbo spools at less than 2000~RPM. If a little 5.9 Cummins can spool it at 1500 no problem why cant the 7.3 do it better?
Must be in the cam profile, right?:dunno

That turbo is more than that 18" from the exhaust ports on a 5.9 though, helps trememdously with spoolup. Heat wrap all the up-pipes, manifolds, and turbine housing, and report back.

Also make sure that your wastegate isn't stuck partially open, or bleeding driving pressure.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Already done all that good stuff. I know for a fact the waste gate is fine as I just installed the turbo a few days ago. All up pipes are double wraped.
Even with the tiny HY-35 I was never thrilled with the low end spool. If you were to see the exhaust side of a HY-35 you would know what I am talking about.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the cold side has mods on my truck, I make 10 lbs at 2k light load with the torque regrind. works good for me.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already done all that good stuff. I know for a fact the waste gate is fine as I just installed the turbo a few days ago. All up pipes are double wraped.
Even with the tiny HY-35 I was never thrilled with the low end spool. If you were to see the exhaust side of a HY-35 you would know what I am talking about.

You disassembled the turbine and made certain the puck closed completely and stayed closed? Do you have any exhaust leaks, at the manifolds, up-pipes, turbine inlet? Also, how are your up-pipes setup? Do you have a single pipe going to a T3 inlet, do both pipes merge into the divided inlet and stay divided thru the tubine? Remember that a CTD splits the pulses, as the manifold is divided. As does a PSD IIRC.

I've dealt with HY's, and know what you mean about tiny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online