Boost & Pyrometer Gauges

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
What is everyone using for after market Boost and Pyrometer guages. Would like to pod mount them on the driver side pillar. Would like a decent set of gauges without spending a fortune, if there is such a thing. :D

Thanks for the input.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
isspro has good gauges i think autometer is just over priced over rated junk, but thats my opinion

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
isspro has good gauges i think autometer is just over priced over rated junk, but thats my opinion

Autometer has some good gauges, but I think they are expensive as well. They have lower cost lines, but I don't think they are that great quality wise.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I have tried plenty of brands, but I keep coming back to the Auto Meter stuff.
The only Auto Meter gauge I have ever had a problem with would be a 35PSI boost gauge that was hit with over 65PSI lots of times.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
When it comes to a pyro I would go with ISSPRO. Just can't say I trust anything else.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think you will find that most people run either ISSPRO, or Auto-meter. Those are the two biggest.

I have ISSPRO's and like them, seen them in the cabs of many semi's, and if they are good enough for a Peterbilt or Kennworth, then they are good enough for my truck ;Sweet

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have an AM pyro($160) and an iequus boost guage($20) in a AM pillar pod($20). Been using iequus stuff for years and only ever had a problem with a voltmeter that melted. This pic was before I put a blue LED in the boost guage.

You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get your gauges from a sponsor on this site. Diesel Manor is one outfit I've bought from before.

sootman73

Reaction score
i run matching autometer Phantom II's. the pyro has been in two trucks and in the other saw 1400 quite often. it still works great and so does the boost gauge. i bought one from autometer at indy diesel nationals and the boost from summit. they both have lifetime warranties on the internals. just make sure your pyro probe is positioned properly in the port. should be right to the middle or two inches in. it makes a big difference.

DragRag

Reaction score
Is there a generic pod set up I can use on my pillar of my 87' van that will look nice with minimal modification. Need one bad, gauges are just sitting on my dash, and not making wifey happy.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
DragRag, We had an 85, I would look at the area in teh dash beside the radio and the HVAC controls. There is plenty of real estate there. Just a suggestion, I would not put anthing on the cowling, as it would have to be disconnected any time you took it off. Antoher place would be a roof mounted pod above the rear view mirror. Our custom vans had a console there anyway, and something could be added to that......

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep I also vote for using a site sponsor they are the ones that keep the lights on here.....

I have had ISSPRO, Banks Branded gauges (don't know who makes them) and Westach. The Westach was a combo boost and pyro in one gauge so only one location was used. That was pretty nice in the Dodge because of where it was mounted. On the Enterprise I used both the A Pillar and Top of dash mounting. I liked the dash mounted better. On the A pillar it seemed it was too close and you had to adjust your eyes more to focus in on the gauges there, as with on the top of the dash it was just easier to focus in on. both were in the line of sight but I just felt it was easier with them on the center of the dash.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a used Sport Comp 0-25 boost gauge that I got for about $15, and a Sport Comp II pyrometer that I got for right around $100 (couldn't find a pyro anywhere for less than $100 so I figured what the hell). The Sport Comp II lights up nicely at night, the Sport comp...eh, not so much.

BTW the LED (non-replaceable) stopped lighting up in my pyrometer a few months after I installed it, and I'd had it for more than 6 months by that time...sent it back to autometer and they sent me a whole new pyro, probe and all, free of charge. I thought that was pretty damn cool. I'm not even sure where I put the extra probe now ;Poke

I like Autometers, I have Phantom oil temp (elec), oil pressure (elec) and volts in my Thunderbird, and VDO vac/boost (mech) and water temp (elec) in the pillar. The VDO's have been in the car for 6 years now and still work fine. My only big gripe about the VDO's was that at the time I bought them, you were buying the gauge only...it didn't come with any senders or installation hardware whatsoever.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online