Can A CAT 3208 be Made to Rock?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
They can. I cant tell you how though. I have been searching for a truck called the cats meow. It is a 78 F250 with a hot 3208 in it. I know it had a ransome caterpiller sticker on it but their website says nothing of it. Maybee someone else here might know something about it. The trcuk is dam fast in the 1/4.
Ken

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
The 3208 Marine version would be an ideal candidate if you can keep it cool.

The majority of failures I have encountered have been blown head gaskets from overheating and the oil pressure sending unit breaking and allowing the oil to be pumped out of the engine. They have pencil type injectors that are quick to wear out, but they are an easy fix and not very expensive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Caterpillar 3208 Specifications

* Air Intake: dry-type, single stage air cleaner
* Alternator: belt-driven, 51 amp 12 volt
* Cooling: transmission oil cooler, heat exchanger, engine oil cooler, watercooled exhaust manifolds, auxillary sea water pump, expansion tank, thermostats
* Flywheel and flywheel housing: SAE No. 1
* Fuel: RH or LH filter and priming pump, shut-off solenoid (ETR), air fuel ration control
* Governor: mechanical
* Lubricating: LH oil filter, filler, RH or LH dipstick
* Starting: 12 Volt electric
* Tachometer drive: mechanical
* Torsional vibration damper

Caterpillar 3208 375 horsepower turbocharged diesels which provide the 13 ton craft with a speed of 35 knots. The high performance and dependability of the Caterpillar 3208 has made it the definitive marine engine!

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Derating for transmissions is the worst part. Most of the 2 ton trucks have an 800ft/lb limit on input torque. They are hard to keep cool when full tilt. A turbo change and turning a few screws with a fresh set of injectors works wonders. They are heavy though. 1700lb IIRC. I should drop one in a pick up just to go agitate a local dyno shop! :lol:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I saw a dually on this site a few months ago (linked to Ebay) that had one of those things swapped in. All I've ever heard about them is that they are junk. I know the older MDs that have them are being sold for no money, and I just can't accept they were that bad. Are they bad on the fuel?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
They REALLY like fuel, to the tune of 4.5mpg in most truck applications. I still call it a school bus engine even though I have worked on more of them in construction equipment than trucks. There is an outfit in CA (I think) that was offering up 3208's with 335hp for $6K, as usual engines are worth more on a stand than as part of a truck.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Man, that's as bad as the B model Cat I had, loaded. No thanks, that's just way too thirsty.

Did see a puller with a 3208 converted to run on alcohol. Say it puts out 3000hp. Be bad in a truck app though:drunk:

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
The marine 3208's blow head gaskets due to boost, not overheating, they drop left and right at 375 HP and they were worked to 450HP. I cant say enough bad about them oh there LOUD too. Ask anyone comercial fisherman what they think of the 3208 Gold Plated Garbage.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Never worked on anything that floated myself, my info is from working on them in S/A Dump Trucks, Grease Trucks, 225 Excavators, Boring Machines, and few School Busses.
I would bet at 450HP they don't last long enough to make a round trip for parts! :)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
we had an old 3208 NA in a fire truck, it got the job done but it wasn't a 3406E or anything! I've heard of old school mechics saying that they could be twin turboed, intercooled and the pumps tweaked up to make some pretty good power.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
My 3406E gets almost 10mpg loaded. There is a B model floating around the yard that is a thirsty one but it is for fun! :D

Gotta love the E, when those suckers are tuned right, they make a Series 60 jealous in the mpg department.

My B was mildly tuned and the governor turned up to 2700-2800 rpms. 35 pounds of boost. Could pass everything but a fuelling station.

636ci of fragile V8 fury. Somebody needs to be punched.-cuss It seems V8s and diesel don't mix sometimes. Just too thirsty. I think the old shool Cats were engineered to guzzle.:drunk::puke::drunk:

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I know of an old guy who has a older Ford 7000 service truck with a hopped up 3208 and the transmission makes it a little complicated. It is a 7+5+2 triplex transmission. I know on a flat to downhill run the old truck would fly. I passed him one day heading across the TN river and I slipped the old B model into 13th at full tilt and thought I left him eating smoke at near triple digit speed. Well we started on a down grade and he passes me with the old school bus smoking in both stacks AND shifting gears! He had a short lived victory, we had to pull a small grade coming out of the river bottom and he was in the rearview like he should have been! I bet that old engine has been built a dozen or more times, rumor has it he could put a piston in on the side of the interstate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01