Question about Ford fuel tank sizes

Reaction score
I am stripping a 95(6) F350 with a 7.3 Stroke and I was thinking about installing its side mounted tank in my wife’s 96 Gas powered F250. I have heard rumors that there is a difference in some of the diesel tanks and their gas counterparts. Before I go through the hassle of removing a tank I may not be able to use, how can I find out if it is indeed bigger than the stock tank in the 96? Also, is the sending unit the same? She had a new one installed a few months ago before I returned home.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tanks should be the same. The tank that I have in my 89 f250 actually came from a 96 f150. I just swapped the sending units and removed a metal sleeve inside of the filler neck and everything else bolted up.

So Im going to say yes, everything should bolt up and the sending unit should swap over to the other tank.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
front tank should be 16 or 17 gal (heard if referenced differently) for short bed trucks or trucks with the E4OD and a long bed.

i only know this because i ordered a front tank for my F-150 (300/E40D) and purchased a 19 gallon tank thinking it would fit...nope. being it has the E4OD and it was so big i needed a 16/17 gallon tank.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Chances are highly likely they are the same.

As said the sending units will swap between tanks. If by some chance they are different size, just swap the straps with the tanks.;Sweet

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the only difference I seen was on the 97's some have plastic, some are long and skinny, some short and fat.
just look at both and ya can tell by looking.

robg

Reaction score
you could check ford part #s for each. As far as size go to ford specs for what was offerd in each vehicle