Any info on the 6-71 Detroit?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
ameristar,

I have just the ticket for something for you to "tinker" with. My 1970 Pete 358S-T
with a 8v71 (N/A of course) and a lovely 4X4 duplex transmission. It is part of my last load from MT, still gotta go get it and my IH 4700.

I have only worked on a few 6-71 and several 4-53 and 4-71 and I am still no expert by any means. I will have to stick with the Yellow ones! :)

What kind of condition is it in? Is it a runner or does it need a full restoration?

A 318 Detroit with twin sticks, that sounds like a truck dyoung would love to drive!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The engines "can" turn faster. Did I ever tell ya about the 12v149 that got stuck at 2600-2800rpms?

Musta been a fun ride :D ....that one have 7:1 gears as well :eek:
You say it was a 12-149 -------so I take it both the Robert and Elizabeth are safe :angel:

I never said they "can't" turn higher.....it's just that weird things happen and dependent on the situation....it can be either the engine passing fluid and chunks..........

OR...YOUR body passing fluid and chunks :eek:LOL

Hey BTW.....see ya tomorrow{mebee :sly}

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
What kind of condition is it in? Is it a runner or does it need a full restoration?

A 318 Detroit with twin sticks, that sounds like a truck dyoung would love to drive!

It runs and has glass in it, I have not started it in a while, I have to go to MT to get it. I am selling my 46' 5th wheel travel trailer and my FL112 that pulls it,
so finishing up my resto on the old Pete will hurry along. I will put it under my 35T lowboy. Then no one will want to borrow it, duplex trans plus 2 stroke DD raises the required skill level of a driver a bit. :rotflmao

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
It runs and has glass in it, I have not started it in a while, I have to go to MT to get it. I am selling my 46' 5th wheel travel trailer and my FL112 that pulls it,
so finishing up my resto on the old Pete will hurry along. I will put it under my 35T lowboy. Then no one will want to borrow it, duplex trans plus 2 stroke DD raises the required skill level of a driver a bit. :rotflmao

I can hear the comments: "Uh, if I got the main box in 4 and the aux in 1, do I shift the aux to top then put the main into........ow, ow, too much thinking, head about..to.......explode...seeing double........oh, God:puke::puke::puke:!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
naw Geon, 5something to 1. Was the Tug Trevor. The engine would roll REALLY bad as it kept stripping a splined shaft on the terminal lever inside the gov.
It would accelerate evertime it rolled, but wouldn't roll down. Took me maybe 30 seconds to get to it, buy than it was getting pretty noisey.
Killed the fuel and stood back in case I needed to kill the air to....
it slowed down, we changed the gov, and back to work.

yup see ya tommorow.
Drew