Rotella vs Delo

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
What are the opinions on Rotella and Delo for the 7.3 ? Is one better then the other ?

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
People seem to have good luck with either. I personally dont like rotella. It seemed like our engines smelled like hot burning oil at idle when we used to run it. Delvac or Delo are my pics.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i have used them all, but i just use rotella cause its very readily found around here

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Delo better myself, but have run both. My truck seems to smoke a little differently when using the Rotella, but it never seems to use much, if any.

Ryan

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I like Delo better myself, but have run both. My truck seems to smoke a little differently when using the Rotella, but it never seems to use much, if any.

Ryan

Ryan,

Does your truck smoke more on Rotella or Delo ?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Delo 400 15w40 oil and no problems ever. I haven't run any of the others. Years ago before I knew there was diesel oil I ran whatever was on sale. It all ran fine and I got 285 or 385 thousands miles on that motor.

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Where does Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 fit into this mix?

The previous owner had put 240,000 miles on the motor with Delo 400. Now that I've got the truck, I found Delvac 1300 at a great price... Buy 1 Get 1 Free...$13/gallon regular price---> now becomes $6.50/gallon (Kragen Auto Parts). By comparison, the Delo400 runs just over $10/gallon (Costco).

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My personal experience from years in a big truck on the road I found they all ate rotella at a faster rate than delo( I had one old Cat that would simply inhale rotella) turns out that later my observations were backed up by numerous independent volitility tests that showed rotella burning off at a faster rate than delo in the lab as well. Delvac fell somewhere in between

Rotella has more detergents in it than the others do. The odd engine seems to like that, but usually only in colder climates, but in most cases, the thinned out oil just burns faster.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
My personal experience from years in a big truck on the road I found they all ate rotella at a faster rate than delo( I had one old Cat that would simply inhale rotella) turns out that later my observations were backed up by numerous independent volitility tests that showed rotella burning off at a faster rate than delo in the lab as well. Delvac fell somewhere in between

Rotella has more detergents in it than the others do. The odd engine seems to like that, but usually only in colder climates, but in most cases, the thinned out oil just burns faster.

I can back you up on that. I ran Rotella and both trucks that I ran OTR with had consumption issues. Doped it up with either Pro Blend or Lucas and it helped out.

I have heard nothing but good about Delo.;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-
do keep in mind both formulations have drastically changed with the new oil specs. none of it is close to what it was 10 years ago.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I dunno, My 85 eats delo at a 2:1 rate over Rotella.

I think Ya run what got ya there.
If the PO used Delo, Use Delo. If They used Rotella, use that.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
It seems more important that you change your oil regularly and check it whenever you fuel up than what you use, that being said, in my cheapie beater car I made 2-3 oil changes with the cheapie "super tech" oil because...it was a beater, soon enough I got a fabulous rear main seal leak :puke: just a little drip, but I don't tolerate vehicles that pull that kind of stunt, good news is that 2000 miles on Rotella and some snake oil and that leak is going away ;Sweet or gone.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
It seems more important that you change your oil regularly and check it whenever you fuel up than what you use, that being said, in my cheapie beater car I made 2-3 oil changes with the cheapie "super tech" oil because...it was a beater, soon enough I got a fabulous rear main seal leak :puke: just a little drip, but I don't tolerate vehicles that pull that kind of stunt, good news is that 2000 miles on Rotella and some snake oil and that leak is going away ;Sweet or gone.

What kind of snake oil ?? Auto-Rx ???

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
the stuff that claims to cure rear main seal leaks, this car has a rope seal, when the rain goes away I'll find the bottle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online