Boost pressure in 6.5l

dieselburner94

Reaction score
Just a quick question, i was wondering how much boost a stock 6.5l TD can really handle, considering the 21.5:1 compression? Ive heard of heath diesels pushing 22psi of boost with stock pistons, but yet ive also heard of others not being able to handle more than 15psi or so, then breaking crankshafts or destroying pistons when pushed too hard. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or info. Ive had mine hitting 15psi with no trailer or weight, and i dont want to do any damage if it builds any more when pulling hard.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
ran mine fer years with about 15-16 PSI max......then the head gasket on the pass front started sucking antifreeze into the cylinder, and then out the front of the head!!!

nodd89

Reaction score
is that turbo timed or stock? whats the stock output supose to be

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
We feel that the boost can go that (15psi) high, if 3 conditions are met, install exhaust temp gauge, pre-turbo and stay below 1100'F, change head gaskets to at least .010'' over thickness ( compression ratio drop) and head studs. The other is buy a main bearing girdle to hold the bottom end together.

Otherwise just buy a pyro guage and keep *** boost below 10psi and you should not have problems.....:thumbsup:

Have you re-flashed your computer ? Error messages ? Or are you mechanical IP ?

mahatma171

Reaction score
You can run the stock pistons (as long as they are anodized top for best results) but you still gotta do something about the compression, either as silverfoot said by running thicker head gaskets, or by modifying the valve seats for lower compression. Otherwise, you are straight asking for trouble anywhere over 15 psi.

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
not trying to step on toe's but! you don't wanna change valve seat depth's! I'll dig up my book and post the info as soon as I can!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01