cummins 4bt going in the ranger!

colton.shreve

Reaction score
Planning to do a cummins 4bt conversion into my '88 ford ranger.... I have never done a conversion and I am wanting to know what all I will need. I'm serious about the conversion and have plenty of money set back... I hope. More than likely I will be contacting Beans Diesel Performance here in TN to do the conversion, but I would like to have an idea of what all i'm gonna need to buy. Any information would be appreciated!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have not put a 4bt in a ranger but I have read plenty about this, the 4bt may be a little too heavy for the ranger You could also put a 3.3l cummins which is smaller and lither AND gives You better fuel mileage. You can find this engines in several other equipment like the vermier wood chipper. There is also a John Deer engine I saw some time ago in this same equipment, this are lither and may fit better than a 4bt.

Whit

Reaction score
its heavy and you will need to upgrade the front suspension.............I agree on the 3.3 ******

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The 3.9/Ranger combo has been done enough times. Go to 4btswaps.com for more info. Heavy as a BB Ford at 750lbs. so the front end needs upgraded shocks and springs. Then decide what trans you want to put behind it. As the other members pointed out, the smaller 3.3 Cummins is a lighter/easier fit, but if your heart is set on the 3.9 go for it. They are very vibey, so be prepared for that. A used motor/trans combo out of a breadtruck costs $2750 around where I live at; they are in higher demand than the 6bt.
A Kubota, Komatsu, VM Motori diesel (like the one they use in the Jeep Liberty) would be a better match for the chassis, along with the MWM Sprint 4.07 that is sold in the Brazilian Ford Ranger (marketed as a 2.8 Powerstroke) and GM S-10 pickup.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The 3.9/Ranger combo has been done enough times. Go to 4btswaps.com for more info. Heavy as a BB Ford at 750lbs. so the front end needs upgraded shocks and springs. Then decide what trans you want to put behind it. As the other members pointed out, the smaller 3.3 Cummins is a lighter/easier fit, but if your heart is set on the 3.9 go for it. They are very vibey, so be prepared for that. A used motor/trans combo out of a breadtruck costs $2750 around where I live at; they are in higher demand than the 6bt.
A Kubota, Komatsu, VM Motori diesel (like the one they use in the Jeep Liberty) would be a better match for the chassis, along with the MWM Sprint 4.07 that is sold in the Brazilian Ford Ranger (marketed as a 2.8 Powerstroke) and GM S-10 pickup.

and I think this engines are cheaper too.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
and I think this engines are cheaper too.

You'd be surprised bro, unless you get one trapped in a piece of equipment, they'll try to charge the hell out of you. Maybe it's the market I live in; if someone's got a line on a cheap Japanese baby diesel let me know, Perkins too.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I meant the engine they use for the Jeep crd, last time i checked they seem affordable for a not so old engine (they started with the diesel on the liberty's on 05), they problem I find with the cummins is that it is so hard to find one and when You do it may need a rebuild and they still want almost 2k for it cookoo.

colton.shreve

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have set the extra money aside for the upgraded suspension rebuild, and I am still kind of leaning more towards the 3.9 4bt...the swap honestly is not for increased fuel economy, its simply for fun. thanks for the replies!

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you upgrade to heavier running gear the 4BT will be fun done right. A 200+ HP 4BT is way more power than a ranger should ever have.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine shipped to me from up north with tranny ready to go. I won the bid for around $2000 with $700 shipping(screwed me on that). The 4bt is a much more expensive swap than a 12valve for sure. You might look into a Perkins from a forklift to save some money. I will try to piece one together one day for one of my f100s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online