Circulating Convection Tank Heater Installation

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Howdy,

Looking for some advice on the installation of a KATS 3000W circulating tank heater. This baby is supposed to work on a concept called thermosiphon, which is that it superheats the coolant in side it's body, which is supposed to be mounted in a position most of the way down the side of the engine below the coolant jackets, and it will then rise in the line above it allowing cooler antifreeze to gravity feed into it from the block.

I'm adding this guy to my existing block heater in order to warm the engine as close as possible to operating temperature for quick switchovers to WVO/WMO. As it sits I switch to WVO at 180F, it takes a good 10-15 minutes to get to this temperature, I want it to be less.

In any case I was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these which is in essence a 110v 20a Webasto w/o the pump.

I was thinking of feeding it off the passenger's side heater hose pointed downwards (for gravity feed) then just fed into the heater core. These supposedly will warm your cab and keep the windhield frost free.

Yep It's barely summer and I'm thinking about winter....

Have I mentioned how much I love my IDI lately? I drive a 2nd Gen PSD as a daily driver now and every time I get in my IDI I marvel at what a great vehicle it is...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online

No members online now.