Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversion From 7.3 to 5.9 Cummins

Full Access Member
    Thanks

question Conversion From 7.3 to 5.9 Cummins

I finally have a Cummins Motor for my 90 F250. Now to get Parts to make it work. Does any one have advice on what works best?

Thanks

You might want to ask this on the diesel conversion forum here. If You are good fabricating than You can make all Your brackets, if not then destroked makes some very nice mounts and brackets, pricey but good. Also it all depends on what You want to use, as in what tranny if it is 4x4, etc.
    1993 F350 CC DRW D60 Divorced NP205 with a 6bt KDP killed, 3200 governor spring, Banks IC, Piston Pump, getrag 360 w/4.10, 5" Stacks , Manual tranny starting system "The Mel Mode" Love it every time Mel,
    Hydroboost brakes.

1987 GMC utilimaster step van with a 4bt (KDP killed) 3.9l,HX35 turbo, Piston Pump, SM465 + Ranger III overdrive splitter.

05 PSD f250 4x4 auto srw, coolant filter, CC gas vent mod.

1984 f250 IDI, Yes IDI. c6, 4x4, meyer plow, custom front springs, custom rust.

a BOOB Man

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Just call it what it is, a plain old engine swap; conversion makes it sound more complicated.

If you can get the truck in the dry, have a drill and a welder, a few wrenches, and something stout enough to lift the engines, then you have everything you need to swap an engine.

Every bracket and mount you will need can be fabricated at home.

One thing I did prior to starting that made life a bunch easier was to add a 2-inch body-lift and Borgeson steering-shaft.

Everything is so much easier to get to and work on with the hood and floor-board being up away from things.
    1985 F-350 repowered with a 1989 6BT CUMMINS

THE DIESEL POWER UNIT UNDER YOUR HOOD IS AN ENGINE

MOTORS ARE ELECTRIC

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Depends a lot on what parts you have and what your has in it. Destroked makes quality adapter plates.

I use ford diesel ZF 5 or 6 speeds behind the 6 cummins as those are what I prefer and they hold up impressively. I run the mid 90's narrow diesel radiators and a metal powerstroke IC. For motor mounts the cheapest route is using EFI 460 gas mounts flipped upside down. The 460 mounts fit gas or diesel frame stands and are beefier than the diesel ones. For a better mount I use Ford F700-F800 mid mount rubber isolators and build everything from scratch. The medium duty stuff won't rip apart no matter how much torque you have.

If you have AC the 90's and newer ford and frieghtliner cummins power trucks use the ideal AC setup, the ford medium duty lines will actually hook right into a pickup.
    Dustin

1970 F250 4x4 4.5CTD ZF6 205 D60 D70 Project
    1977 F350 super camper 5.9CTD A518
    1989 F350 DRW4x4 5.9CTD ZF5 D60 S10.25
    1998 Expedition 3.9CTD 47RH

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Talking

Well I have the 5.9 at home now. It is still in the truck that is wrecked. I need a wiring diagram and a few picks of a engine to find where the dipstick is installed as there is not one on the engine.

I plan to clean and start this while it is still in the dodge truck. This way I can get everything fixed before it is installed in the ford.

Thanks

Ok then here is a few things You want to do to the engine, KDP as in Killer Dowel Pin this is important to address before You start putting miles on the engine if it falls it will just brake things. It is inside the front gear case and You must put a stop to it as well as tightening (lock-tite) the gear case bolts. When You get the gear case front cover gasket and crankshaft seal make sure You give them the engine serial # (at the cummins dealer) and ask for the wear sleeve crankshaft seal. What year Cummins do You have? from 89-93 is called the first gen then 94-98.5 2nd gen then on and on. I ask this bc there are a few differences with the engines.
    1993 F350 CC DRW D60 Divorced NP205 with a 6bt KDP killed, 3200 governor spring, Banks IC, Piston Pump, getrag 360 w/4.10, 5" Stacks , Manual tranny starting system "The Mel Mode" Love it every time Mel,
    Hydroboost brakes.

1987 GMC utilimaster step van with a 4bt (KDP killed) 3.9l,HX35 turbo, Piston Pump, SM465 + Ranger III overdrive splitter.

a BOOB Man

Full Access Member
    Thanks

question

The engine is in a wrecked 1995 3/4 ton. I do not know what shape the engine is in.

The plan right now is to pull the bed, cab and fenders. Clean the engine. then start it. I will go from there. I am working on a shoe string here. But I need advice on what books to buy for wiring and on the motor as I need these soon.

I also need a dipstick if anyone has one to part with please tell me.

I only payed $50 for the wreck so I am not out to much if it is a totaly bad engine.

Thanks

Manual or auto? There isn't much needed to run this engines but 12v to the fuel solenoid (near the injection pump on driver side) and power to the starter.
    Hydroboost brakes.

a BOOB Man

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exekiel69 View Post
    Manual or auto? There isn't much needed to run this engines but 12v to the fuel solenoid (near the injection pump on driver side) and power to the starter.
    Auto and the tranny and tansfer are still in it

Full Access Member
    Thanks

There isn't a wiring harness. You're engine is entirely mechanical. 99.9% of the wiring under the hoos of the dodge is for the dodge crap, not the engine. You don't need the intake heater grid to start it if it's above 10 degrees outside and although the 47RH auto tranny has a computer it is a mostly hydraulic automatic and is very simple to convert to 100% standalone control without the computer.

If you just want to start it pull the fuel shutoff solenoid up with your hand and put 12 volts to the starter.

The dipstick on non-commonrail rear sump engines goes into a boss on the driver's side rear of the block just above the pan rail. It is hidden behind the starter on dodges.
    Dustin

1970 F250 4x4 4.5CTD ZF6 205 D60 D70 Project
    1977 F350 super camper 5.9CTD A518
    1989 F350 DRW4x4 5.9CTD ZF5 D60 S10.25
    1998 Expedition 3.9CTD 47RH

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by averagef250 View Post
    The dipstick on non-commonrail rear sump engines goes into a boss on the driver's side rear of the block just above the pan rail. It is hidden behind the starter on dodges.
    The tube is still there I need the dipstick itself. There was not one in it when I got the truck.

Full Access Member Mudbillyrednec's Avatar
    Thanks

How about firewall mods ?

I've heard there are several areas that require massageing ?

I'm also interested in info

Keep this thread alive , so I dont have to start one
    You know it's a bad idea , when the Ford guys laugh !

Thanks

It depends what year truck are You installing this engine on. Most trucks with a lift wont need any massaging of the firewall but I think some of the late 70's did (read this somewhere don't know for sure), still id depends what engine mount You use as well, meaning if You center the engine properly no need to massage anybody.
    Hydroboost brakes.

a BOOB Man

Full Access Member Mudbillyrednec's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exekiel69 View Post
    It depends what year truck are You installing this engine on. Most trucks with a lift wont need any massaging of the firewall but I think some of the late 70's did (read this somewhere don't know for sure), still id depends what engine mount You use as well, meaning if You center the engine properly no need to massage anybody.
    I'm startin g a 94 F350 crew with autoworlds $400 mounts...pricy i know but they are poly ....convienantly enough...they lost there pics of firewall mods....so now I am left holding the $400 bag
    You know it's a bad idea , when the Ford guys laugh !

Thanks

I did have to knock my firewall back a about an inch or 2 so the rear valve cover would clear.
    Darrin

Big Ed: 5.9 6BT 12V Cummins Powered 1989 F-350 XLT Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, Built C6, Gear Vendors, 3:55 ls, Propane Injection, Etc,.Etc,...
    Big Ed's Extreme Truck Makeover Video
    6BT Cummins Conversion build thread
    Droopy: 3.9 4BTA Cummins Powered 1988 F250, XLT, 5sp, Reg Cab, 4x4, 3:55 ls, the Plow Truck.
    4BTA Cummins Conversion build thread.
    www.dandlautosales.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast