Ranger Diesel Engine Swap (What Engine?)

Fast Burn

Reaction score
I am looking to put a small diesel engine into a ford ranger and I want to know what engines are out there that I can swap in. I am going for the gas milage and the fixability.

I am really hoping to find something between 1 - 3 liters that is cheap, abundant, good on the Fuel, and will bolt in without too much trouble. Something that there are parts for.

I have been looking at the 4D56 2.3 liter mitsubishi engine and the VW Rabbit and the cummins 6AT 3.4 liter. (I don't even know what the 6AT came in)

Does Masda Make a diesel engine?

I was wondering is there any new simple diesel (non electrically controlled engines) that I can put behind a Rangers 5 speed (correct me if I am wrong) T-5 Transmission.

Does John Deere or International or Kawasaki or Kuboda make any small engines that will bolt up.

Let me know . . . .

Thanks!

discbrks

Reaction score
What about pulling the engine/trans out of an old mercedes diesel? They're everywhere, great mileage, and seem to be easy to repair.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
Actually ford puts a diesel in the rangers they sell everywhere but North America it is i think a 4.0L and they call it a duratorq I know that I am first inline when they release a diesel ranger here in north america.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Actually ford puts a diesel in the rangers they sell everywhere but North America it is i think a 4.0L and they call it a duratorq I know that I am first inline when they release a diesel ranger here in north america.

You know that is a shame, I also read here it is a 3.9l 4bt cummins. If that i true, now wonder the call it duratorq.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
You know that is a shame, I also read here it is a 3.9l 4bt cummins. If that i true, now wonder the call it duratorq.

the duratorq is not a cummins product. duratorq is the name of the diesel they put in the ranger's abroad i am not sure who makes it though sorry for the misunderstanding

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I read here they put 4bt's on the ford ranger but they don't do it here bc of the epa. Either way a diesel ranger is something I would like to have on My collection for sure. That 4bt must move that little truck like an IDI moves a bronco :D

tknomaj

Reaction score
I read some where the hyundai makes a diesel that is a straight swap and bolts up to existing trans I will try and find it again but if i remember right a new one was 6k

dieselinjected

Diesel Student
Reaction score
ford built a ranger in the early 80's with a 2.2 perkins that were and still some are in north america. I dont know anything about them though:confused:

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ranger's had Mazda/Perkins diesels in them. Good engines, but not great.

The 4BT is not remotely Ranger size. In other countries the 4BT in 3.9L version before 2007 and 4.5 commonrail versions after 2007 is the primary engine used in the superduty F250 and F350 chassis.

In other countries there is also a 3 point something litre 4 cylinder Navistar diesel that is badged a powersroke and uses a VE pump. They are used in the light duty Ford lineup and aren't that great.

The Onan 6AT is a pile of junk. Don't touch one unless it's free.

Your ranger 5 speed is an M5R1, not a T5. The M5R1 is a pile and won't last 5 minutes behind a turbodiesel.

I would shoot for the 2.5 to 3.5 liter range for a ranger that will handle well and get 30+ MPG. Mitsubishi and Yanmar make spectacular 4 cylinder turbodiesels in this range. Yanmar makes one that is the same physical size as a 22RE, even looks like one, runs a VE pump and is right around 3 liters.

For the cheapest swap I'd shoehorn an Isuzu 4BD1T in with an M5R2 5 speed. The Isuzu is a few inches smaller in every direction than the 4BT cummins and is better built than the cummins in some respects. 4BD1T's are dirt cheap. They're the early NPR motor.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The Brazilian version of the Ranger uses a MWM 4.07tca diesel from the factory (they market it as a 2.8 Powerstroke). There are people that know how to tune them for more power. Single overhead cam, 3 valves per cylinder, direct injection. Not a bad design and you can get big mpg out of them. A guy swapped the 6 cylinder version into a Suburban (using standard OEM parts for the Brazilian market), and is getting 37-42mpg. They can be found, you just have to dig for them; may have to import it in, I don't know. Once again, the name of the engine is the MWM Sprint 4.07tca or 6.07tca

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me there. I've only seen one and it looked fairly simple with a VE pump. The seller stated it was made by Navistar and I didn't question it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
For the cheapest swap I'd shoehorn an Isuzu 4BD1T in with an M5R2 5 speed. The Isuzu is a few inches smaller in every direction than the 4BT cummins and is better built than the cummins in some respects. 4BD1T's are dirt cheap. They're the early NPR motor.

I think I read about this engines on the 4btswap forum, many guys put the in dakotas, s10's and rangers, right? What applications are this engines on?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
These engines are OEM in the Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 in the Brazilian market, along with the Nissan Acterra pickup, and I believe one of the Hyundai products (don't quote me). If you get on the MWM website, you can see what chassis the 4.07 and the 6.07 comes in. This engine is not as bad as they say it is, so don't be deterred by the naysayers. It's better than the uninformed suggests, and if it was sold here in the US, it would probably outsell the big diesels we have. Imagine a Ranger that gets almost 45mpg and a full size half ton getting 30-35mpg, with more than adequate torque. And people wonder why the OEMs are losing money; they already have the diesel cars and trucks on the world market, but refuse to sell them here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online