Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Diesel Engine Swap (What Engine?)

Thanks

Default Ranger Diesel Engine Swap (What Engine?)

I am looking to put a small diesel engine into a ford ranger and I want to know what engines are out there that I can swap in. I am going for the gas milage and the fixability.

I am really hoping to find something between 1 - 3 liters that is cheap, abundant, good on the Fuel, and will bolt in without too much trouble. Something that there are parts for.

I have been looking at the 4D56 2.3 liter mitsubishi engine and the VW Rabbit and the cummins 6AT 3.4 liter. (I don't even know what the 6AT came in)

Does Masda Make a diesel engine?

I was wondering is there any new simple diesel (non electrically controlled engines) that I can put behind a Rangers 5 speed (correct me if I am wrong) T-5 Transmission.

Does John Deere or International or Kawasaki or Kuboda make any small engines that will bolt up.

Let me know . . . .

Thanks!

Thanks

What about pulling the engine/trans out of an old mercedes diesel? They're everywhere, great mileage, and seem to be easy to repair.
    1994 F-250 XL 2wd, green with tan interior, bucket seats (heated), added power windows & locks, Eddie Bauer overhead console, factory Alcoa-type wheels, Banks Trans-command, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, 4" straight pipe, backup lights mounted in rear bumper.

1964 Ford Falcon 2-door hardtop, fuel-injected 302 (5.0) and a 5-speed. A blast to drive!

Thanks

Actually ford puts a diesel in the rangers they sell everywhere but North America it is i think a 4.0L and they call it a duratorq I know that I am first inline when they release a diesel ranger here in north america.
    This is my dream truck except using a '79 crew cab it will be a baby bed truck WIFE HAS ALREADY APPROVED THE PROJECT

Thanks

Thanks for replying to my post. I am going to look into both engnes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Papabear View Post
    Actually ford puts a diesel in the rangers they sell everywhere but North America it is i think a 4.0L and they call it a duratorq I know that I am first inline when they release a diesel ranger here in north america.
    You know that is a shame, I also read here it is a 3.9l 4bt cummins. If that i true, now wonder the call it duratorq.
    1993 F350 CC DRW D60 Divorced NP205 with a 6bt KDP killed, 3200 governor spring, Banks IC, Piston Pump, getrag 360 w/4.10, 5" Stacks , Manual tranny starting system "The Mel Mode" Love it every time Mel,
    Hydroboost brakes.

1987 GMC utilimaster step van with a 4bt (KDP killed) 3.9l,HX35 turbo, Piston Pump, SM465 + Ranger III overdrive splitter.

05 PSD f250 4x4 auto srw, coolant filter, CC gas vent mod.

1984 f250 IDI, Yes IDI. c6, 4x4, meyer plow, custom front springs, custom rust.

a BOOB Man

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exekiel69 View Post
    You know that is a shame, I also read here it is a 3.9l 4bt cummins. If that i true, now wonder the call it duratorq.
    the duratorq is not a cummins product. duratorq is the name of the diesel they put in the ranger's abroad i am not sure who makes it though sorry for the misunderstanding
    This is my dream truck except using a '79 crew cab it will be a baby bed truck WIFE HAS ALREADY APPROVED THE PROJECT

Thanks

I read here they put 4bt's on the ford ranger but they don't do it here bc of the epa. Either way a diesel ranger is something I would like to have on My collection for sure. That 4bt must move that little truck like an IDI moves a bronco
    1993 F350 CC DRW D60 Divorced NP205 with a 6bt KDP killed, 3200 governor spring, Banks IC, Piston Pump, getrag 360 w/4.10, 5" Stacks , Manual tranny starting system "The Mel Mode" Love it every time Mel,
    Hydroboost brakes.

1987 GMC utilimaster step van with a 4bt (KDP killed) 3.9l,HX35 turbo, Piston Pump, SM465 + Ranger III overdrive splitter.

a BOOB Man

Thanks

I read some where the hyundai makes a diesel that is a straight swap and bolts up to existing trans I will try and find it again but if i remember right a new one was 6k
    If guns kill people, then my keyboard misspells words Originally By GEONC

Thanks

ford built a ranger in the early 80's with a 2.2 perkins that were and still some are in north america. I dont know anything about them though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dieselinjected View Post
    ford built a ranger in the early 80's with a 2.2 perkins that were and still some are in north america. I dont know anything about them though
    was it a Perkins or an Isuzu?

2013 Ford Focus
    2013 Hoda Civic

"Gone 97 F350 CrewCab XLT"

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." John Adams
    Remember, we aren't eating this stuff, we're turning it into diesel fuel. Your truck only cares about viscosity, acidity, and BTUs. Nothing else. -unknown?
    NC State law defines biodiesel as ''any fuel or mixture of fuels derived in whole or in part from agricultural products or animal fats or wastes from these products or fats.''
    Exemptions from the excise tax.
    (9) Biodiesel that is produced by an individual for use in a private passenger vehicle registered in that individual's name pursuant to Chapter 20 of the General Statutes. For the purposes of this subdivision, the term 'private passenger vehicle' has the same meaning as in G.S. 20‑4.01."

Full Access Member
    Thanks

The Ranger's had Mazda/Perkins diesels in them. Good engines, but not great.

The 4BT is not remotely Ranger size. In other countries the 4BT in 3.9L version before 2007 and 4.5 commonrail versions after 2007 is the primary engine used in the superduty F250 and F350 chassis.

In other countries there is also a 3 point something litre 4 cylinder Navistar diesel that is badged a powersroke and uses a VE pump. They are used in the light duty Ford lineup and aren't that great.

The Onan 6AT is a pile of junk. Don't touch one unless it's free.

Your ranger 5 speed is an M5R1, not a T5. The M5R1 is a pile and won't last 5 minutes behind a turbodiesel.

I would shoot for the 2.5 to 3.5 liter range for a ranger that will handle well and get 30+ MPG. Mitsubishi and Yanmar make spectacular 4 cylinder turbodiesels in this range. Yanmar makes one that is the same physical size as a 22RE, even looks like one, runs a VE pump and is right around 3 liters.

For the cheapest swap I'd shoehorn an Isuzu 4BD1T in with an M5R2 5 speed. The Isuzu is a few inches smaller in every direction than the 4BT cummins and is better built than the cummins in some respects. 4BD1T's are dirt cheap. They're the early NPR motor.
    Dustin

1970 F250 4x4 4.5CTD ZF6 205 D60 D70 Project
    1977 F350 super camper 5.9CTD A518
    1989 F350 DRW4x4 5.9CTD ZF5 D60 S10.25
    1998 Expedition 3.9CTD 47RH

Thanks

The Brazilian version of the Ranger uses a MWM 4.07tca diesel from the factory (they market it as a 2.8 Powerstroke). There are people that know how to tune them for more power. Single overhead cam, 3 valves per cylinder, direct injection. Not a bad design and you can get big mpg out of them. A guy swapped the 6 cylinder version into a Suburban (using standard OEM parts for the Brazilian market), and is getting 37-42mpg. They can be found, you just have to dig for them; may have to import it in, I don't know. Once again, the name of the engine is the MWM Sprint 4.07tca or 6.07tca

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Thanks for correcting me there. I've only seen one and it looked fairly simple with a VE pump. The seller stated it was made by Navistar and I didn't question it.
    Dustin

1970 F250 4x4 4.5CTD ZF6 205 D60 D70 Project
    1977 F350 super camper 5.9CTD A518
    1989 F350 DRW4x4 5.9CTD ZF5 D60 S10.25
    1998 Expedition 3.9CTD 47RH

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by averagef250 View Post
    For the cheapest swap I'd shoehorn an Isuzu 4BD1T in with an M5R2 5 speed. The Isuzu is a few inches smaller in every direction than the 4BT cummins and is better built than the cummins in some respects. 4BD1T's are dirt cheap. They're the early NPR motor.
    I think I read about this engines on the 4btswap forum, many guys put the in dakotas, s10's and rangers, right? What applications are this engines on?
    Hydroboost brakes.

a BOOB Man

Thanks

These engines are OEM in the Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 in the Brazilian market, along with the Nissan Acterra pickup, and I believe one of the Hyundai products (don't quote me). If you get on the MWM website, you can see what chassis the 4.07 and the 6.07 comes in. This engine is not as bad as they say it is, so don't be deterred by the naysayers. It's better than the uninformed suggests, and if it was sold here in the US, it would probably outsell the big diesels we have. Imagine a Ranger that gets almost 45mpg and a full size half ton getting 30-35mpg, with more than adequate torque. And people wonder why the OEMs are losing money; they already have the diesel cars and trucks on the world market, but refuse to sell them here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast