Average height for a trailer hitch?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the average height for a trailer hitch? I installed a class V reciever and I'm looking for a drop hitch............and I'm not sure where my goal height should be. Don't have a trailer yet, so I can't just go out and measure.:D

Thanks

Heath

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Heath, I just checked mine and it's 17" from the ground to where the bottom of the ball mounts onto the drop hitch. and about 20 inches to the top of the ball. My trailer sits pretty low, so you may want to be an 1" or 2 higher than that. OR buy an adjustable hitch if your going to tow different trailers. One other thing you could do if your only going to tow one trailer is buy a couple of differant drops and just install the hitch balls on them (don't tighten the nut) and set the trailer on it to get the right height. Then just return the one you don't want back to the store. And then don't forget to tighten and torque the one you want to keep. I'm guessing you'll need either a 6 or 8" drop.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
depends on the trailer Heath my dads double axle car hauler type I use a 6" drop on my 96 with no lift and my tri axle deck over I use a standard receiver with the ball on top instead of the drop side

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avg travel trailer w/ 2-5/16 hitch, top of ball is 23" when level, set hitch at 20 - 21" for easy hook up and towing.

The new ultralite TT w/ 2" hitch are 15" to top of ball when level, good hitch height for them is about 13"

I run 20-1/2" on my WD hitch w/ 2-5/16 ball. Tows about everything nicely at this height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online