Shifting DNE2/US Gear Overdrive

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news and bad news

So I tore into the DNE 2 box a little more. The good news is that the US Gear/DNE portion of the speedo cable is not hacked, so I guess I should just be able to plug my cable into the extension that's already on the unit. Does anyone know if the speedometer cables from the C6 and the T19 are the same or different? The other good news is that the speedo cable and accessories are still available from US Gear and they are more than happy to help out with these old units in terms of parts or tech advice. Jim there is a great guy to talk to. Also Joe Mc is right on the money with his part #s and info from NAPA. I got the limit switch and I may wind up buying a new motor...more on that later. I got just a standard 2 position rocker switch as Jim from US Gear said there was nothing special about the ones that came with these units. Just like Joe told me its a fused hot 12V from the battery or ignition hot to the switch, 2 wires to the gear box. I also got a fuse holder and 30A glass buss fuse for it. I think I'm just going to make my own wiring harness for this thing as the unit that came with it is chopped in more than one place and is just a couple of 16-18 AWG wires with ring terminals.
Now for the bad news..... the wiring inside the box is shot too. the old limit switch was not connected to the motor, the wires going to the motor were chopped off, and when I took the electric motor out and put voltage to it there was no response its obviously DRT(dead right there). I'm thinking of possibly getting an electric motor shop to see if they can overhaul this thing as I doubt there's really anything seriously wrong with it internally, it looks like a very solid unit. The Eaton 40365 motor does replace it but its not too cheap. $91.99 from NAPA. If I have to I'll buy the new one and I won't be too upset about it. One more thing... is there any way to look at the gears themselves and make sure the devil that owned this poor thing didn't tear them up like he did the electronics without running the risk of something falling out that I don't know how to fix...like is there an inspection plate or something for it?? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online