Battery terminal clamp replacement?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the battery terminals on my F250 finaly broke, it's the worst one too, pass side positive with 3 wires going into it. I cut and stripped an inch off all the wires then tried to clamp them all into a big generic one I bought from the atuo parts store but Im still not getting a connection.

has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to fix one terminal without having a whole new harness made? This generic terminal is too small and flimsy.

Thanks,

-Rob

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've converted mime over to marine terminal style. I got the clamp with the stud and wingnut on one end and crimped on stud terminal ends onto the cables. added bonus when I want to disconnect power to the accessories, I undo the wingnut and pull the small cable.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy your marine terminals? That sounds like a nice way to do it, I imagine you had to get huge crimps as well at least for the pass side positive terminal.

-Rob

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this site or the other site, there is a write-up with a link to a company that will fabricate these cables to your measurments. Reasonably priced and very good feedback.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
custombatterycables.com

They are great...good service, excellent product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set for another vehicle. The ones I've got on there now will be there the life of the truck.

zpd307

Reaction score
they are still down. he states that the site should all be back up by 04/21. its not and he has raised his prices.

tractorman86

Reaction score
if you dont have a set of battery cable crinpers:rolleyes:, you can use a 1/8" drift (not pointed) and just make two indentions right down the center of the cable end, ill post an example. also use heat shrink makes everything look nicer and helps prevent corrosion.:thumbsup:
punch on red spots

Attachments

• cableend.bmp
    70.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I went to the big truck group 35 stud top batteries on mine so I made 3/0 cables with ends for stud mounts, nice having all seperate cables. Napa caries replacement terminals in all sizes, Truck pro has them cheaper, Farm stores usually have them pretty cheap as well

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the military clamps mentioned? Anybody have a pic or a link?

The batteries I have are still pretty new so for now I think I'll try to find the marine clamps then later the cables will already have the ring terminals for whatever kind of batt I want.

I don't think I need to get a whole new set of cables made, can't realy afford it now either, I think I can get away with just new ends.

Towcat, that looks like the way to go. Where did you get your clamps and ring terminals that size? Do I need to buy a special crimper?

Thanks,

-Rob

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the crimper for battery cables. All I did was cut off the factory terminals, cleaned off the copper and used 1/O and 2/O terminal lug ends. I buy them in bulk at my local truck parts supplier.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wrangler Electronics in Portland Oregon has the military style terminals I bought. The also sell the cable ends in either crimp or soldier type. I have the soldier type lugs and they work great. They have a very good web site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp