T19 Fluid capacity and what fluid?

1992camarors

Reaction score
Ok I just got my bad T19 out of my truck which wouldn't go into reverse. And I have replaced it with a good used one. It is still waiting to go in just after I get the oil in it. Ok what Kind of oil do i need to use and how much? And is there any easier way of getting these trans out without killing yourself wedging it through. I did not remove the crossmember. Should I? And how much do you think it would cost and a replacement u-joint on the joint connected to the trans. It looks bad and has a lot of slack.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I need to know this as well. My tranny in the morning hates going into 2nd gear from 1st, I'm thinking its a little low. Couldnt hurt drainging it and putting in some synthetic right (you can use synthetic right?)?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use synthetic. I use dyno juice 90wt. I've seen lots of stuff used though.....75wt through 90wt. As far as volume?? I'd guess 3 or so quarts. I just squirt it in there until it runs out the fill hole.........and wa la, it's full.:D

On Edit: I forgot to answer your remove/replace question. The best way to do the tranny is to roll the floor carpet/vinyl back to uncover the transmision tunnel. Remove the shifter. Unscrew the tranny plate from the floor board and set it aside. Take off the driveshaft. Secure the slave cylinder rod (I used the factory plastic strap) or take it off the bellhousing, otherwise, it will push the arm and TOB into a position that will be a real PITA when you try and put the tranny back in. Support the tranny with something (perferably a tranny jack). Remove the tranny crossmember. Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing. Roll/pull the T19 rearward and then down. You can likely get it in and out by removing less, but it can/will take longer and be a larger PITA.

Heath

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes you can use synthetic. I use dyno juice 90wt. I've seen lots of stuff used though.....75wt through 90wt. As far as volume?? I'd guess 3 or so quarts. I just squirt it in there until it runs out the fill hole.........and wa la, it's full.:D

On Edit: I forgot to answer your remove/replace question. The best way to do the tranny is to roll the floor carpet/vinyl back to uncover the transmision tunnel. Remove the shifter. Unscrew the tranny plate from the floor board and set it aside. Take off the driveshaft. Secure the slave cylinder rod (I used the factory plastic strap) or take it off the bellhousing, otherwise, it will push the arm and TOB into a position that will be a real PITA when you try and put the tranny back in. Support the tranny with something (perferably a tranny jack). Remove the tranny crossmember. Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing. Roll/pull the T19 rearward and then down. You can likely get it in and out by removing less, but it can/will take longer and be a larger PITA.

Heath

Synthetic has the same weight ratings as regular oil right? I mean when I go in there, it will say 90wt synthetic and not something else? Is it worth the swap to synthetic? Sorry lots of questions :D

suv7734

Reaction score
Synthetic has the same weight ratings as regular oil right? I mean when I go in there, it will say 90wt synthetic and not something else? Is it worth the swap to synthetic? Sorry lots of questions :D

I've always used 80W90 dino in the T19 or NP435. Here's a good quote from Novak Conversions regarding the lube oil fror the T18/19:

When filling your T18 / T19 with gear oil, we recommend that you select a conventional mineral oil or a para-synthetic in lieu of a full synthetic oil. Properly assembled manual gearboxes do not have the thermal strains seen by combustion engines or hypoid gears. Synthetic fluid in these gearboxes, while not harmful, is probably an economic waste.

Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for synchros, bushings and thrust washers in these transmissions.

An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good. Some claim faster shifts from using a 50W engine oil in their transmission and we do not consider this to be contraindicated.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've always used 80W90 dino in the T19 or NP435. Here's a good quote from Novak Conversions regarding the lube oil fror the T18/19:

When filling your T18 / T19 with gear oil, we recommend that you select a conventional mineral oil or a para-synthetic in lieu of a full synthetic oil. Properly assembled manual gearboxes do not have the thermal strains seen by combustion engines or hypoid gears. Synthetic fluid in these gearboxes, while not harmful, is probably an economic waste.

Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for synchros, bushings and thrust washers in these transmissions.

An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good. Some claim faster shifts from using a 50W engine oil in their transmission and we do not consider this to be contraindicated.

Thanks for that ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01