Should I sell my first car to pay for school? 1971 Camaro RS/SS

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rossman is right - debt is not the smart thing - As Rossman said the memories are of working with your dad not the material thing that you can touch and feel.

We should be able to live debt free - that is supposed to be the way. But that said the financial guru Dave Ramsey says that he only approves two types of debt if you must and those are student loans and mortgages - everything else you should avoid like the plague.

If it were me I would sell the car to obtain the education or at least pay for a good portion of it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha,
Okay I guess some of you mis understand my screen name. Not all of these trucks are mine, most of them are my parents, and one is my brothers. Only 2 are mine, the last 2 83's on the list and they are my daily driver and my long distance travel truck. So I cant sell them either. lol I cant believe you all thought they were mine, lol.

Anyway, thank you all for your input. I've figured out what Im going to do. And I dont have to sell the car to do it.
Thanks all!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
don't start selling your body - sure the money is nice and all but do you really want to turn out like Rubberfish????

so what's your plan of attack if you don't mind us asking - if you do tell us to *** up a rope we will understand. We's all adults here...

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
btw the my comment about debt was tongue-in-cheek, it's a necessary evil for some of us but should be avoided whenever possible.

glad you are keeping the car.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha,
No thats fine, I thought about that, but I just didnt like the idea of turning out like Rubberfish when it was all said and done. lol
So what Im going to do is sell a few guns that I dont use anymore, and it wouldnt hurt me as much to get rid of them as this car.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was told I couldn't keep any of my toys either, but by damn I held on to this Torino.

It basically had to sit for 10 years before I could fix it after wrecking it, but at least I still have it!

If I would have sold it, I would have never bought another one, and would likely have never forgiven myself.

You have made the right choice, man.... (even if it is a Chevy....lol)

You must be registered for see images attach

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Sell the car, run the girl off, get a BIG loan, go to school & go on to bigger & better things.....like be a Roket Signtiest! Larn how to speel, dont be like rest of us'en.....steel playin with our IDIs 20-30 yr down the road!!!:rotflmao :rotflmao

But DO swing by OB couple times a yr to say "Hi"....OK?:rotflmao

Naw seriously, I wish I'd got as many loans as I could have, & I could have....was just too stubborn, or stupid....or maybe Stupid Stubborn, if there's such a thing???
Instead, I worked my butt off, played lots, & didn't learn much.....now look at me, playing with my IDI!!!

So keep the car! Keep the girl! Get loans, lots of them! Study hard!!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the point is, do what you have to do to get an education. i didn't and wish i did. use your mind to make money and your body to have fun ;Really

good luck

sign_man

Reaction score
Been there, done that!

Rossman is right - debt is not the smart thing - As Rossman said the memories are of working with your dad not the material thing that you can touch and feel.

We should be able to live debt free - that is supposed to be the way. But that said the financial guru Dave Ramsey says that he only approves two types of debt if you must and those are student loans and mortgages - everything else you should avoid like the plague.

If it were me I would sell the car to obtain the education or at least pay for a good portion of it.

I think you misheard or misread something about ole Dave. He does NOT say get into student loan debt. For folks in dire circumstances he tells them to put it on hardship deferral. He is always saying don't have a student loan so long it feels like a pet! His advice is to work while in school and buy a scholarship program off the net where you can apply for around 1000 scholarships. Make writing for scholarships your second job.

I wish I'd have had that idea. My school money came from a Pell grant, working my butt off on the school owned dairy farm, minor car repair, odd jobs, and wheeling and dealing car parts. My advice is no stinking loans! Work, save, and pay as you go. This will also build your character so you will have the urge to study instead of party. When you start writing a check and it's money you've earned and not something you have to pay back in the way distant future, you will spend wisely.

I still have the 1966 GT Mustang I got right out of high school in 1986. Selling it is unthinkable and unnecessary because I don't own anyone any money thanks to Dave Ramsey.

Phillip McGregor B.S. Industrial Engineering, B.B.A. Management, Miss State University.