stacks on a 7.3 IDI

hogfmr88

Reaction score
how would a person go about installing stacks on a 7.3 IDI? What would be the biggest size that would work?

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
10" would work, but thats silly. The easiest way is to buy a kit. The cheapest way is to go to a wrecking yard and find a few trucks and find the pieces you need. 4-5" is about perfect on these trucks.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has some 10" stainless scrap pieces and for a split second I thought about it but thank god I came to my sences.;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
10" are so stupid looking. There is absolutely no reason for that big on pickup engines.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I think they look right in their place on semis, but not on pickups. It seems like every cummins dodge is running around with a set of monster 10" stacks. They must think they really need all that flow or something, I just know they look stupid.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest trick is just adapting them to your 3" downpipe or 2.5" crossover(if you';re still N/A. Most people with stacks seem to have the 4-5" size. The dual stacks look pretty good on a dually, one stack kinda looks silly to me on a pickup, but to each his own.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nelson/Fleetgaurd makes many pipe reducers in 1/2 sizes, shouldn't be hard to gear it up. Take a run down to your local big rig parts shop and they should have everything you need.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Mounting or making a set of stacks isn't that hard. Just let me warn you though unless your a true Redneck that loves loud trucks. (like me) Don't install a set on a Non Turbo IDI! It is very loud but I like it that way & no one around here really cares. Single cabs with stacks are louder too.
All I did was weld on a adapter to go from 2.5" -3.5" up by the tranny, ran a foot of flex pipe to a 80*-90* elbow right up to a 5" T pipe. Welded on two 5" 90* elbows & then clamped on two 5" miter cuts. If your on a budget you can usually find 5" pretty cheap from an old semi. Personally I don't care for the looks or the sound of 4" but that just me too.

You must be registered for see images attach

blaster77

Reaction score
I have 5 inch stacks on mine, but mine is a 6.9L. All I did was use a flex pipe with a reducer to connect the stock exhaust pipe (2.5") I actually used my tailpipe tip which was 3.5" as a reducer with a clamp. After hacking off the stock exhaust at the end of the cab, I connected my old tailpipe tip to the end of the flex then to the stock exhaust.

Basically, my exhaust isn't any more "free" than it was with stock exhaust, but it still looks cool and pours out smoke.

Here is a pic of my truck with the stacks:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx