what about cutting center out of wheels to fit a ford>?

farmerscotty

Reaction score
What is best way to cut center out of steel wheels to make them fit a Ford hub??? torch, what?? have new 9.5 x16.5 tires on chevy I guess wheels......they are mud an snow tires........use them for winter on the 92 then just take them off for the summer........ideas??

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lathe is the only way to do it right. If you use a torch you risk warpage and will probably have a hard time ballencing them.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like he said, ONLY A LATHE.

I see them all the time torch-cut.

After being torch-cut, there is no true center for future balancing purposes.

Also, unless you are a real **** with a torch, and clean up your mess with plenty of grinding, there are going to be stress cracks start running from the lug-holes to the torched hole.

That being said, I have four old Chevy wheels that I myself torched to fit over the hubs of one of my trailers in 1994 = the year I built the trailer.

I cleaned these up real good with a grinder and primed/painted.

I have ran them problem free ever since 1994 with un-telling how many hundreds of thousands of miles loaded heavy with cattle.

Even at that, I DO NOT RECOMMEND the practice.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like he said, ONLY A LATHE.

I see them all the time torch-cut.

After being torch-cut, there is no true center for future balancing purposes.

Also, unless you are a real **** with a torch, and clean up your mess with plenty of grinding, there are going to be stress cracks start running from the lug-holes to the torched hole.

That being said, I have four old Chevy wheels that I myself torched to fit over the hubs of one of my trailers in 1994 = the year I built the trailer.

I cleaned these up real good with a grinder and primed/painted.

I have ran them problem free ever since 1994 with un-telling how many hundreds of thousands of miles loaded heavy with cattle.

Even at that, I DO NOT RECOMMEND the practice.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lathe that needs to be used doesn't grow on trees. What you need to do is find a shop that can repair steel wheels. I had a set of 56 Ford truck wheels widened to hold 13 inch Indy tires many years ago. This is something most wont try themselves....Why are you trying to use these rims and tires? They are very hard to find tires now-a-days. I can understand if you just want to run free tires till there gone.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get them balanced cut them out ,run them till their junk. You dont want to buy 16.5 tires.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
What about H2 wheels, they are aluminum and I would like to run them on my 250

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get them balanced cut them out ,run them till their junk. You dont want to buy 16.5 tires.

I second that. Run them till they are bald then throw them in the junk bin. 16.5" tires are obsolete for automotive applications.

Add me to that list.;Sweet

I can sell any eight-lug SIXTEEN-inch wheel for forty bucks; I can't :puke: GIVE AWAY a 16.5; we use them for jack-stand bases and the like.

We run a BIG tire shop.

In stock, we currently have ONE 16.5 tire, a 9.50-16.5; and, the only reason we keep it is because one of our best customers has two old goosenecks that have that size.

BUT, my advice in my prior post still holds true for the GM 16" wheels, be they SRW or DRW.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok guys.... I have been running on 950x16.5 tires for about 30 years. Yes, they are getting harder to find. Why do some of you post "you don't want to buy 16.5 tires". I really want to know whats going on with these tires. I know they fit ONLY a 16.5 rim and you don't ever mix them up with 16 inch tires because the rims beads are differant. So do tell...:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are getting expensive, but in retrospect everything is going up but wages

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys.... I have been running on 950x16.5 tires for about 30 years. Yes, they are getting harder to find. Why do some of you post "you don't want to buy 16.5 tires". I really want to know whats going on with these tires. I know they fit ONLY a 16.5 rim and you don't ever mix them up with 16 inch tires because the rims beads are differant. So do tell...:dunno

16.5" tires haven't been used factory on anything in over 25 years. Well except HUMVEES but those are MilSpec vehicles.

Many tire shops won't even touch .5" tires anymore because they are more dangerous to work with.

My big thing is I want a tire I can get ANYWHERE. Even better if I can get it off the used tire rack if I need to.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I went through the 16.5 thing when I put the 37's on the IDI , noone wanted to touch them. then it was even harder to find someone to ballance them.

I also have a nice set of 16.5s for my psd, but when looking for tires none of the local shops would get the 35x12.5s for me so I ended up using my 16" wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351