1997 FORD F-250 Electric Fuel Pump Inertia Switch - My son is stuck on the Freeway

FlySAR

Reaction score
I need to know where this switch is located? Is it really Red?

My son is stuck on the freeway & I thought this is the last resort before being stuck several states away until Monday & a mechanic could get to it.

Del

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to know where this switch is located? Is it really Red?

My son is stuck on the freeway & I thought this is the last resort before being stuck several states away until Monday & a mechanic could get to it.

Del
Are you talking about a PSD or a gasser?

FlySAR

Reaction score
PSD!

According to one of the parts sites it has an electric fuel pump and an inertia shut off; I don't know, I drive an 87' 6.9.

Just fishing for ideas why it just quit & this was just one more option, maybe; tough to troubleshoot when you're thousand miles away.

Del

ono_55

Reaction score
We need to know if it is a gasser or a psd. The 97 psd didn't have a elec fuel pump.

FlySAR

Reaction score
Yes, It is a 7.3 PSD, so I guess it is a mechanical pump & if it's mechanical I'm assuming no inertial shutoff - no real need to have one.

It is odd that the site I found on line listed a inertia switch for a F250 PSD with a electric fuel pump - there mistake I'm sure.

Thank you,
Del

ono_55

Reaction score
If he was driving down the road and it died, it is probably the cps sencer. If you have contact with your son ask him to turn the truck over and see if the tack moves, if not it is the cps. 25.00 bucks and a 10mm wrench and your on your way. Most of use carry a spare CPS sencer in the glove box.

Hope this helps.

FlySAR

Reaction score
The tach does move when he's cranking the motor, could it still be the CPS-if it was only that easy?

He is currently moving from Georgia to Alaska (US Army) & he only got as far as Mississippi & the truck just died while driving highway speed. He was sleeping, friend was driving, and I didn't get much info regarding symptoms; check engine light, missing, etc. I know the 97 is much more electrical dependent than my 87 so I imagine it could be almost anything.

We have done the following:
1. Checked Fuses
2. Listened for the whiring noise of electrical fuel pump - oops

Where is the mechanical fuel pump located - I'll have him remove the out hose & check for fuel flow?
What about any relays or continuity checks we could do?

Nothing will be open tomorrow but I thought we could do the long distance shade-tree troubleshooting & get him on the road.

He's at least at the motel now & the truck is at the ford dealership.

Thanks for your help,
Del

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
What part of MS is he in (that's where I'm from back in the states...maybe I can suggest something.)

I don't know if the PSD has it, but I think there was an emergency fuel shut off swith on those trucks. If it has one, it may be on the floorboard passenger side of the truck. Also look in the owner's manual for emergency fuel shutoff switch. That may tell you if it has one and where it might be located.

If the tach moves while he cranks on teh truck then it's probably not the CPS. Could be a bad IDM (injector driver module) or ECM (engine control module). Maybe it's something simple. Did the truck run out of fuel or is a fuel line clogged. Ask them if they switched fuel tanks and tried to run the truck. Maybe the fuel gauge quit working and they thought they had more fuel.

Luck with it.

FlySAR

Reaction score
What part of MS is he in (that's where I'm from back in the states...maybe I can suggest something.)

I don't know if the PSD has it, but I think there was an emergency fuel shut off swith on those trucks. If it has one, it may be on the floorboard passenger side of the truck. Also look in the owner's manual for emergency fuel shutoff switch. That may tell you if it has one and where it might be located.

If the tach moves while he cranks on teh truck then it's probably not the CPS. Could be a bad IDM (injector driver module) or ECM (engine control module). Maybe it's something simple. Did the truck run out of fuel or is a fuel line clogged. Ask them if they switched fuel tanks and tried to run the truck. Maybe the fuel gauge quit working and they thought they had more fuel.

Luck with it.

They're in New Albany, MS

We did switch tanks & that didn't matter; I guess he filled up sometime prior to it happening.

If I can get a location of the fuel pump I plan to have him pull a hose & crank it & see if he's gatting any diesel, after that I guess will be up to the diagnostic machines & unfortunately that's when the bill gets steep - good thing he's getting some traveling money.

Keep your head down & thanks for your service,

Del

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
HMM. Can't help ya on New Albany. I think the fuel pump is on top of the motor. One way to check is to remove the fuel filter cover and see if there's fuel in there. That should tell them if they're getting fuel to the filter. Heck I don't know what else it might be. Maybe there's a shop that can pull teh codes for them. Luck with it.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the fuel pump is behind the fuel filter and sort of underneath the turbo.

The way to check would be to DRAIN the fuel filter housing (yellow slider valve on front pass side of housing). Then, crank, and see if housing is getting refilled.

Also, there is a shraeder valve on the IPR (to the driver side of the housing), you can try holding that in while cranking....you WILL get diesel all over the place, but this will purge any air that may be in the system (like if they ran it out of fuel before switching, etc...)

Check Fuses under the hood # 9 & 22....

Has the fuel filter been replaced? May be clogged,I guess..

That's all I know to check..

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
AS stated, that year does not have electric fuel pump......"unless" the previous owner changed out the factory mechanical lift pump.

regarding draining the fuel filter *****....the eng needs to be running in order for fuel and sediment to drain out the line once the yellow lever is depressed- located on the passenger side of the filter hsg---about 7 o'clock when viewed from front.

Unless he says it stubled and then died, it doesn't seem like a fuel or lift pump problem.
Regarding the inertia switch....the parts guy musta been thinking gasser!

Please get us some more info....did it just flame out like the key was turned off....or did it start running crappy --smoking/loss of power/bucking etc.....

If there is a strong smell of fuel in the valley along with liquid fuel then the lift pump may have indeed went Tango Uniform.
Is the O/D lite on the shifter {if auto} flashing? is the check eng lite {about 3 o'clock in the dash} flashing/on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.