C6 slipping

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its a new radiator and whoever had the truck before me didnt hook it up. I am making a trip to the parts house tomorrow. Will your trans heat up just by sitting with the truck running or do you have to drive it to heat up the trans fluid?

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate band is the only one that can be adjusted. Tighten the stud to 120 "inch" pounds, then back off 1-1/2 turns then tighten the jam nut.

Note that if the trans coolers are bypassed the trans will overheat FAST.

There is only one band in a C6, but in my experience that adjustment rarely cures any trans issues.

For a stout C6, check out http://www.broaderperformance.com

Jay is a nice guy, and builds a hell of a strong C6.

Greg

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Make sure you clean out the cooler before you plumb it into the tranny. Flow some fluid through it and let it dump out to flush out. Otherwise youll end up pushing all the accumulated junk into your tranny.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finaly had some time to fool with the truck today. I looked at the VRV and its looped back around to its self. That maybe the problem with it shifting funny, also it shifts fine and doesnt slip when its cold only when it warms up. My question is where does the VRV hook up? I looked around and could not find anything that looks like it hooks to a vacume line.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VRV has 2 ports. One is a vacuum source and the other goes to the passenger side of the tranny to a solinoid.( The gold thing towards the rear of the pan)
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I hooked up the VRV and plumbed in the cooler, droped the pan, changed the filter and put new fluid and some lucas in and she run like a champ till she got hot she started slipping again. I put my frunt bumper against a tree to see if the back wheels would break loose and she just reved and that was it. now I have to floor it to get her to move in forward gears but reverse works good.:puke:

Ohh well I guess its time for a rebuild. Anyone have any sugestions on a good rebuild kit?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The following are the links and shopping list of parts I used on my build.
In addition I bypassed my radiator trans cooler and mounted the largest external trans cooler I could find at a reasonable price. It's rated @ 30,000gvw cooler.
I did alot of research and found the following parts were the best bang for the buck and longevity for the tranny. If your doing it yourself just take your time and save your old parts(I used an old steel as a shim in one of the drums). Do one step at a time ex:disassembly one night laying out all the parts in order as they are removed, make a parts list, clean for reassembly, rebuild valve body next night, ect.. A manual is a must (you'll see it on my list). You may want a local shop to compress the spring in one of the drums, it takes a tool to do it and without the tool you take a chance of ruining a new drum. Don't forget to soak your clutch discs for 1/2 hour before assembly.

The second link is for the drums incase yours are wiped like mine were. Plus using these drums give you another clutch disc.

https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : 26756 FMX, C6, AOD transmission pump gears
$10.09 Shipped
3 of : 26761 FORD Torque converter nut (N60)
$0.78 Shipped
1 of : 26876 Ford C6 transmission screen filter 1977-on.
$1.84 Shipped
1 of : 26991 Ford C6 transmission band adjusting nut.
$1.15 Shipped

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : 26003KHP Ford C6 Performance master rebuild kit 1978-on w/Alto red cluthes & new steels
$132.61 Shipped
1 of : 26601 Ford C6 Bushing kit 1966-on
$13.43 Shipped
1 of : 26670 Ford C6 transmission, metal thrust washer kit
$19.76 Shipped
1 of : 26931 C6 Shift kit® Gas and Diesel 1967-on.
$15.98 Shipped
1 of : 26997HP FORD C6 High performance Kevlar® lined band.
$16.56 Shipped
1 of : 26TM00 Ford C6 transmission, ATSG repair manual.
$15.28 Shipped
1 of : 36916E C6 E ratio servo apply lever.
$16.49 Shipped
1 of : 36946-02K FORD C6 diesel, reverse boost valve & sleeve (With O-rings).
$22.74 Shipped
1 of : K36528R Ford C6, R-Code servo piston kit with seals 1968 1/2-on
$104.93 Shipped

If you need drums go here!
https://www.vermontsecure.com/cart...ht=0&TotalShipPrice=0&Update.x=79&Update.y=18

Both drums $49ea= $98.00

Hope I didn't overwhelm you but these are my suggestions to help you to a speedy rebuild unlike my week long saga of research. Good luck, any ?'s just ask.
Pete :popcorn

Last edited:

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW and I thought I did my research. Thats a pretty complete list there. Thanks I will keep everyone updated.

I did a little snooping on ebay and found a early 70's rebuilt c6 for a decent price, its for a 4x4 big block. Is this trans compatable with my 85 4x4?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW and I thought I did my research. Thats a pretty complete list there. Thanks I will keep everyone updated.

I did a little snooping on ebay and found a early 70's rebuilt c6 for a decent price, its for a 4x4 big block. Is this trans compatable with my 85 4x4?

All the guts are the same but the bell housing is not compatible to a diesel.

If you got the time and place to doit, it's deffinitely worth the build. You don't have to go as extreme as I did but for <$500 I have a very good performing trans that will last and I know I have quality high performance parts for the long haul.

Last edited:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the trans cooler built into the rad? Would it be wise to get a different external trans cooler?