2WD e4od to 4WD??????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does it take to convert a 2wd E4OD into a 4WD?my super duty needs a 4WD tranny.but may be able to get my hands on a 2wd tranny.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is like the C6, the answer is A LOT. You'd need a new case, and a new main shaft just for starters.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailshaft should be the only part different (shorter). Problem is the tailshaft is the first part in, and the last part out so it requires complete trans disassembly to change out.

I did the job once on a GM 700R4, took me maybe 3 hours. You may need a couple special tools for the E4OD. I'd buy a new 4wd tailshaft, saves dis-assembling the whole bad trans just to get the one part out of it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn you had to tell me this.i was hopeing i could do it easily to save some cash that i dont have and get my truck to work so i could afford to have rebuilt one put in it.-cuss -cuss

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is to change over the driveshaft to a slip yoke end and use the 2wd trans. You'd lose the parking brake but do you have a Mico brake?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option is to change over the driveshaft to a slip yoke end and use the 2wd trans. You'd lose the parking brake but do you have a Mico brake?
really bad idea for rollbacks. too much weight and wiggling going on when moving the deck around. but that's just my opinion thoughcookoo
when you are working the controls you don't notice it, but try sitting in the passenger seat with the deck in operation:eek:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont use the paeking brake anyways.but i need it if i got stopped by DOT.they wont accept the mico lock for a parking brake.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that the parking brake "should" be there, I was just giving some options to get your truck back on the road.

That's one reason I like having the Medium Duty truck, the parts are a lot more durable since I'm at the bottom of the design range rather than at the top as with an F450.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the problem with year/type of truck is i showed up with an old donkey to some of my customers(wich i dont have many as it is)they would laugh me out of thier place and call the next guy.even though my truck is a 94 its still accepted cuz it looks like a 97 wich isnt all that old.but i also got near 5 years and 100,000 miles out of this tranny.;Sweet

but at the same time i guess i could try to fix the hacked mess i call an ATS upgrade and fix the leaks in it.if i convert to a zf i can also get rid of the junk belt driven PTO.:confused: :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online