Stainless Steel Freeze Plugs

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I ordered 14 stainless steel freeze plugs from Ford Parts Online (Bob Utter Ford, Sherman Texas) and got 2 bags of 7 each E3TZ-6026-A. I atated that they had to be stainless steel or I didn't want them. So now I have 14 plugs that are magnetic and not stainless steel. What gives here??? I think Mel said that the original plugs were stainless but I checked my original block that I know have not been changed out and they are magnetic also.
the parts I have are not repackaged in a Ford bag from International thats for sure. Its the typical Ford clear plastic bag that has the statement. "This package cannot be returned if opened. My big question is this what I want for freeze plugs or is there something else out there? Thanks Guys. P.S. Does anybody have the tool used to install these?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I don't know why I keep hearing that SS is not magnetic. It has to be. It's ferrous. So today I tested I SS fitting. Magnetic. I also just now did some reading here and found out the specifics. Your plugs may be stainless and due to cold forming picked up "magnetic permeabilities" :D
James

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, same here. I had never heard of stainless not being magnetic because it is ferrous as well. I have about 5 different compounds here from sheet stock to 1 inch round bar, just tested it and it is all magnetic.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok guys...Series 300 stainless steel is non magnetic. Thats including 306, 309, 312 & 316. 400 series stainless is magnetic. Now if you want to go even higher than 300 series then its called Carpentor 20. Thats really soft and very very expensive. There at many more types or series of stainless but this is what we have normally available most any metal supply. Then a very high nickle stainless that is propritory to steam turbine generator totors that keeps the rotor from flying apart at 3600rpm thats machined is very slow steps because its like copper and the heat builds up in it causing funny things to happen like groth. So you get your demention only to find out when it cools its way undersize and junk. Very hard to machine....

Last edited:

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Did you read my link? And the fittings I tested were 304. Magnetic, series 300. That's why I sort of quoted by saying that they may be magneticly attracted now because of cold forming.
James

79 300sd

Reaction score
Did you read my link? And the fittings I tested were 304. Magnetic, series 300. That's why I sort of quoted by saying that they may be magneticly attracted now because of cold forming.
James

Cool link!

I had a city inspector try to give me a hard time on a multi-million dollar job because he thought, after performing a magnet test, that we didn't provide stainless as specified. He doesn't use the magnet test anymore.

C&P from the link:

All austenitic grades have very low magnetic permeabilities and hence show almost no response to a magnet when in the annealed condition; the situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade 304 may exhibit quite strong response to a magnet, whereas Grades 310 and 316 will in most instances still be almost totally non-responsive.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have no idea of what grade I have. Some has very strong magnetic attraction, some less so, but all of what I have has some attractant to a magnet. I would assume what I have is cheap stuff, but have no way of telling.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I thought they were just plain steel.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
all forage harvesters use stainlees steel front feed rolls because in the bottom front roll is a very large magnetic tub with three or four large magnets to detect a foriegn object(ferrous metal)a horse shoe or rake tooth for example that would destroy the knives and cutterhead.they also use stainlees steel bolts to hold stainless steel wear bars on the feed rolls.the bolts are very sensative,so sensative that you cant use a impact gun to install them because they will become magnetic.