Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best engine for Class 8

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Default Best engine for Class 8

Nobody really posts down here so I figured I'd give it a shot. What do you think the best engine for HD applications is? It can be a new Cat or an old Detroit, makes no differnce as long as it was in a truck. The only engines I have really encountered so far have been a 550 Cat C-15 and Mack E-7's in trucks but plenty of 3306's in machines.
    Chris

Thanks

the cat's like to leak oil
    Dad has a 2004 6.0L Super chip
    2003 F-350 XLT 6.0L 3.73 LS, Auto, S/C, S/B, 83,000km Bully dog Triple dog
    1960 CJ5 all stock
    1991 VW Jetta 1.6L turbo
    1987 F-250 XLT lariet 6.9L : 3.55 limited slip, 4 speed, auto meter pyro, Napa water temp and oil pressure, 346,878KM on her. Injector pump rebiult at 255,000 KM http://community.webshots.com/user/budtoh3zo Here are some pics of her

Misguided Trident EMD Diesel Power's Avatar
    Thanks

No no no no.

Detroits leak oil. CATs just steal money when its repair time. (gold plated parts).

From my experience and what I;ve heard... CAT and Cummins are the best as far as torque and just plain pulling the heck out of stuff. Detroits are great for running like a raped ape (80 plus mph)--- once you get em up there.
    We The Unwilling, Led By The Unknowing, Are Doing The Impossible, For The Ungrateful. We Have Done So Much, For So Long, With So Little, We Are Now Qualified To Do Anything With Nothing!

Save a tree...... Eat Beaver!!!!

Chaos, Panic, and Disorder.... my work here is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Tosh View Post
    Yup It looks like my motor is Pink,..Damn it,....
    Quote Originally Posted by argve View Post
    I finally found a motor that I can't blow up...

Thanks

I gotta agree with EMD. Cats usually are not big oil leakers. When something does start leaking it just looks bad because the engine is so bright from all the gold plated parts.
    I personally like any big cat. They seem to be a little heavier (AKA built a little thicker) and give a nice smooth torque curve. A lot of the cummins engines have a long lag and then come on like a raging bull after they build a lot of boost. The cats seem to pull just as good but smoother.
    Ken
    06 F550 6.0 4x4 with a 15k lb Warn winch and an Altec AT37G lift on it
    02 F250 PSD all stock and gonna stay that way except for Sirius satelite radio and a black bed mount toolbox.
    06 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic with the typical loud exhaust and Sirius satelite radio Now with Andrews gear drive cams, PCIII and high flow AF
    03 SVT Focus all stock but still darn quick and fun

Thanks

are cat leaks wonder why? only 71,000 km on it and its had 5 major leaks. o well they do got alot of power and a smooth torque curve for sure
    Dad has a 2004 6.0L Super chip
    2003 F-350 XLT 6.0L 3.73 LS, Auto, S/C, S/B, 83,000km Bully dog Triple dog
    1960 CJ5 all stock
    1991 VW Jetta 1.6L turbo
    1987 F-250 XLT lariet 6.9L : 3.55 limited slip, 4 speed, auto meter pyro, Napa water temp and oil pressure, 346,878KM on her. Injector pump rebiult at 255,000 KM http://community.webshots.com/user/budtoh3zo Here are some pics of her

Thanks

im a fan of the drip-troits myself. the truck i drove for a year plus my dads truck both had 60 series in them. both trucks leaked kinda good from the pan and vavle cover. other wise not a problem 1 with em. my truck was a cabover with an 8 speed and 3.37s soo it didnt get non where in too much of a hurry, dad has a 10 and i forget what rear ratio in his frieghtshaker but it pulls like none other and screams

i dont have much experience with other motors. im 21 and only had my cdl for 2 years and every truck dad has brought hopme has been a frieghtliner with a series 60 in it sooo im slightly biased. only other thing i know is what was mentioned above.....cats will run forever but better be ready to open up fort knox when they do break

Thanks

Well I've only run Cats, and had pretty good luck with them.

Oil leaks were never a problem with them, only big thing I can think of was the exhaust manifold studs like to break, I'm getting good at replacing them though.

My buddy just turned 1.2 million on his Cat powered KW, NEVER been apart, 2 water pumps and thats it.

Mines got 700,000 on it and only had to have the camshaft replaced (under the warranty) and 1 water pump.

This is my 5th truck since 1977 with a Cat and I've NEVER had the head off any of them.

Check out my front plate
    2002 F-350 supercab LWB 7.3 Island blue
    2000 KW 600HP Cat 18 speed 3.70
    1938 Chevy sedan delivery 350 TH400

Thanks

I have only had to take a cat a[art once and that was an injection pump on a 3206. I have not had that luck on any other engines. We run them all. Cat is the way to go in my opinion. The Perkins built labeled cats are another story but they are not in class 8 trucks.
    Ken
    06 F550 6.0 4x4 with a 15k lb Warn winch and an Altec AT37G lift on it
    02 F250 PSD all stock and gonna stay that way except for Sirius satelite radio and a black bed mount toolbox.
    06 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic with the typical loud exhaust and Sirius satelite radio Now with Andrews gear drive cams, PCIII and high flow AF
    03 SVT Focus all stock but still darn quick and fun

Thanks

All the caterpillars I have seen leaked pretty bad once opened up or run for awhile, but no problems.
    At the shop we just did an inframe on a 60 detroit. First time it was opened up, almost 900k. Not too bad Cracked head brought it in though.
    James

Thanks

My thinking after 20+ years of driving, If your on the road with running 80.000 gross go cummin's Black box n-14, if your in michigan running 154-160,000 go cat, cats will last, inframe at those weights around 500,000 and the cummin's wont last, nearly that long, thinking of both with 10,000 oil changes
    Early 99 F350 Drw, Ext cab, 144,000m,
    Superchip 1705, back yard exhaust, BD-gauges, Banks BigHead,Tinted windows 2.5 back/20 front, custom window grafics,

Thanks

We had some red top N-14's, when I started @ K-W. Always seemed to be one through the shop, for leaking pan gasket. Very few problems with the 3406E's, and C-15 bridge motors. The ACERTS seem to run o.k., but make crappy mileage, and don't seems to work well with Eaton autoshift systems.
    I know a couple guys with Drip-troits. One dearly hates his. No power and less mileage than he was led to believe. The computer was even set up for the wrong tires, when he got the truck. Cost him a shop stop, to get that fixed, and it still pulls like a sick dog.
    The other is one of our O/O's. He doesn't brag about it, and has started running between 60-65 all the time, for mileage, especially when he goes out west.

Just $.02, from the company grease monkey.
    Being a nice guy has gotten me far in life.....

Far in debt, and far from sanity.

Thanks

Talking Purrrr...

Once you've had Cat, you never go back.

Nothing walks down the Big Road like a kitty Cat.

A Signature Six can keep up with a Big Cat, but its gonna burn more fuel, and you dont wanna get an aluminum head hot.
    (They both need a 4 pass radiator if you're gonna operate a lot in hot mountians.)

Detroit isn't in the same class. It's an accountant's engine.
    Accountants buy them because of the inflated specs, like fuel economy.
    Drive them @ 11-1200 and they piss through fuel, like anything else.
    Even though they develop more torque per hp than the other two, they'll be last up the hill, all other things being equal.

Just my observations

Thanks

Default The Big Question!

CATERPILLAR! All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my opinion!!!!!!!!!

Changed big trucks a couple of months back! And now have a bigger ittty bitty kitty that before. This one is about 590hp with an 18 spd.....

Nothin' like it!!!!!!!

Hoss....
    Hoss....

New 02/27/12
    2000 F350SD SRW,4x4,CC,SB,PSD,4R100,3.73's,271K,Intake,5"Exh,4 "DP,Piped,315/75/16 on 10" Alum., Headache Rack,Strobes,Toolbox,B&W,Gauges,Air Gate, Cab Visor,Vent Shades,Lobo V-plow,Tint,DMI Bumper,PHP Hydra Chip, Roll Up Bed Cover....
    New 03/19/11
    1996 F350 4x4 CC LB PSD E4OD 4.10's 330K,Air Gate,Bully Dog TS Chip,285's on Alloys,
    Black Dog:10/03 "The First IDI"
    1986 F250 4x4,SC,LB,6.9L,C-6,XLT-Lariat,8.5' Western Pro Plow,3.54's,Elec.Lift Pump,285's on Outlaw II,SS GP conv.with the IH kit-07/04!,375K+ Tired!!!!-Sold?
    Arrived!!!! 11/22/2008
    1993 F350HD 4x4,SC,LB,7.3NA-IDI,ZF5,XLT,3.55's,
    265's on fact. alum.,Intake,Cab Lights, 173K,40/20/40,Vent Shades,Nerf Bars,Cab Visor,Window Tint,Piped,Soon to be 4 Sale
    Acquired: 11/07
    1997 F250HD 4x4,SC,LB,PSD,E4OD,XLT,4.10's,Piped,
    265's on alloys,Intake,3" DP,B&W,40/20/40,
    Fuel Reg. w/BeeBee,231K,Cab Visor,Vent Shades,Cab Lights,SS Nerf Bars,Tint...Soon to be 4 sale

Thanks

I've had Cummins, Detroit, & Cat. The cummins was OK but nothing to brag about. I've bitched about the freakin ACERT before. @ 550hp it does real well but mpg sucks. I liked my detroit the best. It had enough blow-by out of the drool tube to make people ask if the truck was on fire, but that truck RAN. Got pulled over in SC doing 102
    Scott
    1997 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD XLT CC LB SRW 4x4
    Bean's Stage 1's, Tubzz tunes - Van Aiken chip, Stealth SRP1, Bean's Modded IDM, Dominator 66, Shimmed FPR, Intercooled, CCV Mod, Bulletproof E4OD, 6.0 Tranny Cooler Mod, Tymar, MBRP 4", Sky RSK, ISSPRO EV2 gauges, fresh paint, Nitto 305's on stripped & polished OEM Alcoas

SOLD-2003 Ford F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat CC SRW 4x4
    Modded up pretty good with help fromBeans Diesel Performance

SOLD- 1988 F-350 7.3 CC SRW 4X4
    Modded way up for an IDI

2008 Cherokee 295B Fifth Wheel Trailer

Bean's Diesel Performance

My Photos

Full Access Member
    Thanks

What engine was that detroit? What do you guys think of old mechanical engines. Like Macks E9 or a detroit 12v92 or other big engines in trucks. I think that mack superliner with the E9 is an awesome truck

Chris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast