towing traction, posi? locker?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok guys lets "pretend" this is going in the rear of a IDI powered dedicated tow rig/ truck puller. (actually my travelette shhhh ;p) it's only use will be towing a trailer with my scout 6000lb, on the 3000lb trailer. and the truck pulls here and there. the front 60 is getting a lock right as it will either be in 4x4 for getting the trailer unstuck or at the pulls. now i have heard that a detroit locker is not good for towing. i heard mixed reviews on a true track posi, some say it's the best bet, some say its also not too good for towing. then it was suggested about a selectable locker, but they are A LOT of coin and i'm not sure how long the 60 will be in the rear.... :dunno what's your experiences and suggestions? thanks! :D

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want traction for pulls, go a full out locker, not an lsd(posi). as for towing as long as you're not dropping the clutch and trying to pull from a burnout you should be alright with a spool rear end. the way you're talking about the use your best bet is a selectable. there is no annoying clicking (lunchbox lockers, have one in my jeep. ANNOYING without loud stereo), and anytime you need it its only a button push away. if you're locking the front there is no need for a lunchbox in the rear.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a tow rig I would go with a gear style limited slip for the rear and a lunchbox front. My reasoning is that a locked rear end is ******* tires and sucks in the winter, I've had awesome success with limited slips in my old 4x4, now plow truck. I am going to add a lunchbox locker up front first as it's FAR cheaper and when I need traction in 4wd, I'll have it.

I would rather have my front axle pull through corners compared to my rear axle pushing me through them... Ideally locking the front would benefit most people more then you would think... Drivability in 2wd, all out traction in 4wd.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
ARB or E-locker or similar would be the ultimate for a tow rig IMHO.

Too bad they are $$$.

No way would I do a detroit or lunch box in a tow rig, especially if you will tow anywhere that blcak ice is possible.

I was once cruising down the highway in a small truck with a lunch box in the rear. The roads were mostly clear and dry... until I went under a bridge where condensation had frozen. It was total black ice and in an instant I found myself spinning down the highway out of control as the rear end kicked sideways. It was my lucky day as I managed to not hit anyone or roll over.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your ARB & E-locker would do the same thing in that situation... When it comes down to it, any locked rear end is going to be difficult in the winter - a lunchbox up front will not cause a spin out, probably wouldn't even notice it. Think about it - locked front and open rear really makes sense...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Your ARB & E-locker would do the same thing in that situation... When it comes down to it, any locked rear end is going to be difficult in the winter - a lunchbox up front will not cause a spin out, probably wouldn't even notice it. Think about it - locked front and open rear really makes sense...

That is why you would run the ARB open when towing. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
a selectable open/locked would be my opinion for the rear. I have only driven one truck with a locked rear end(welded spiders in a pasture truck) but I can promise you that it was plumb scary on wet roads if you didnt know the rear end was locked. I can only imagine how bad it would have been on ice.

sassyrel

Reaction score
a selectable open/locked would be my opinion for the rear. I have only driven one truck with a locked rear end(welded spiders in a pasture truck) but I can promise you that it was plumb scary on wet roads if you didnt know the rear end was locked. I can only imagine how bad it would have been on ice.

and thats the bare facts!!! welded spiders or spool..my yazzz

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A full locker in the rear of a tow vehicle is a bad idea. I have personally seen rear ends blown up from all the torque strain on them from going around corners with a trailer in tow or a large load on the back.

Not to mention the scary handling situations in wet or slippery conditions that are extemely amplified with a trailer or weight on the back.

Best bet is a factory clutch type LSD in that situation, possibly a true trac. I gotta true trac in the front of my truck and have personally driven hundreds of miles in 4wd on snow covered pavement and have yet to have a real problem with it as far as predictabilty goes.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure he will chime in........

I know that Travis ran a lunchbox style locker in the Nanny Goat (2wd 12v) and he didn't have any issues, yes it would kick the back end loose on slick surfaces, (My Factory LSD will do the same thing in my Ex). He was very happy withe the performance, and he did tow fairly heavy with it.... a 32' TT and a 30' 5er.... much better than the "one leg wonder" it was factory....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the rear is a 60, the factory power lock works very well in towing situations. And they are cheap.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
My gmc had a factory gov lock in the rear and yes it did still work. Never had a problem

Also check out auburn gear. Their limited slips are pretty good. Dad wheeled with one in his bronco and loved it. Plus they are rebuildable

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a Tru-Trac gear driven LS diff in my F250 for years. It has worked very well for me and I don't have any issues with snow or ice. But, I don't drive like an idiot in those conditions either.

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I've had a Tru-Trac gear driven LS diff in my F250 for years. It has worked very well for me and I don't have any issues with snow or ice. But, I don't drive like an idiot in those conditions either.

Heath

exactly, i understand how a vehicle handles with trailer. i was thinking about that for the rear, i just wasn't sure if i would damage it towing all the time. i don't want the wear on the tires of a full locker in the rear, and i'm not sure how long the 60 will be in there so i don't want to dump over $1000 into a selectable locker. thanks for the input guys! ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01